Computer + Vinyl = ?
Jul 22, 2005 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RedLeader

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, I sold off all of my high-end audio equiptment, except for my turntable, and now I don't have a way to really play anything. My main source is my computer with a revo 5.1, can anyone tell me what I need to do/get to get decent sound? Do I need a phono pre-amp or something? I'm just so lost and confused...

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 10
You need a phono preamp, and a soundcard with RCA inputs I guess.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi RedLeader,

A phono stage will get you a big enough signal for your computer to sound better. What kind of turntable do you have and what cartridge. There are some very good phono stages that are not too expensive...

Todd

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm kind of in the same boat. I only play my turntable through my computer. It's a Beogram RX (that has been discussed a lot in the source forums lately). I'm currently using a Radio Shack pre-amp but would appreciate suggestions on improving it for not too much money.

Incidentally, I'm using a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach soundcard and using RCA to mini cable for input. It works but I find the bass lacking. I'm not sure if the problem is the pre-amp, soundcard, or a worn stylus.

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 10
My current turntable is a Denon DP-15F with a Grado MT+ cartridge. (Like I said, I sold all my high-end stuff). Any suggestions on a stage/pre-amp?

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 10
I was using the "little rat" and it did the job okay. Not the best, but okay. I have since gone with a Dynavector P75 which does sound awesome with Dynavector carts, but if I had a Grado cart I would run, not walk, to a Grado PH-1.

Otherwise...there is the Samuels phono, (he has two but one of them is like 5k
smily_headphones1.gif
) there is the Black Cube, the new Jolida one...man...so many fine offerings in the $500 range...

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 10
The table/cart I'm using is actually a hand-me-down, and I have no idea what it's worth. I like the sound of it, that's why I kept it, but I don't know much about turntables. Anyone have a clue? (Just curious more than anything) And a PH-1 looks a little out of my budget atm, I'm in the middle of putting together a small home recording rig, and I doubt I could squeeze a phono stage that costs $500+

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 10
The turntable looks fine. You'll probably be able to get about $20-$50 for it on eBay, if you wanted to sell it. It looks like it was a mid-range Direct Drive model, though I can't find (m)any specs for it on the internet.

The cartridge OTOH looks like it could use some work. According to the Grado website, the MTE+ uses a Grado Black stylus, which is the lowest of their current line. At the very least you should replace the stylus, as Grado suspensions are known to go bad over time by stiffening up (this causes mistracking which can damage your records). If you have the money I'd reccomend upgrading it to something better, like the Shure M97xe, Grado Blue/Red, Audio Technica 440ML, or the Ortofon Super OM10 (you can get the OM20 for a bit more (and the OM10 for a lot less) at www.kabusa.com, but their website won't let me directly link to them). Those are all moving magnet (MM) cartridges so they should work with all of the inexpensive phonostages and are among the best you'll find for under $100 and each sound different.

As for the phono preamp, I'm looking for one as well and I think that I've decided to go with the Hagerman Bugle, which is about $60 as a kit and $120 assembled & tested. It should work fine with MM and most high-output MC cartridges.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 10
many thanks, a stylus is something else I was wondering about replacing. Looks like I've got some fun stuff to buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
many thanks, a stylus is something else I was wondering about replacing. Looks like I've got some fun stuff to buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Re-reading my post it seems I may have confused you a bit. A stylus is the part of the cartridge which actually makes contact with the record. A "replacement stylus" usually includes a bunch of other things (like a cantilever, suspension, and magnets) because it's really hard to change only the diamond tip (there are compaines that do that, but the service usually costs several hundered dollars). What I meant was you should replace the stylus at the very least (most MM cartridges, including your Grado MTE+, have user-replaceable styli), but should upgrade the whole cartridge if you can afford it because the Black is really a bargain basement cartridge (it sounds decent, but there are many others that will sound much better and are still affordable). A replacement stylus is much cheaper than a whole cartridge, because you're only replacing less than half of the components in the cartridge. A replacement Grado Black stylus, which is what you should use for that cartridge (though any Grado stylus should work) is only about $20 compared to $55-$100+ for a whole new cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back