Computer Source
Aug 31, 2004 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

IdiotTech

Head-Fier
I have a question regarding the computer as a source. I just put together a cmoy which i tested out on my computer. I have been running my hd 580s off of it. But i noticed that their is some noise in the background and when i put the volume all the way up it is very noticeable. Now i figured that it would maybe be cause i was playing mp3s. Then i tried out a cd and still got the noise. Then i went to a portable cd player and tried listening through the line out. Problem solved the noise was gone. SO i figured that it wasnt a problem with the amp. Im running an Audigy. My question is if anybody knows how to get rid of this sound? And if there is no way of getting rid of it because it is a really bad soundcard, then would the chaintech or the emu 0404 be much better solutions that got rid of the background noise.

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 6
What does the noise sound like? Buzzing? Hiss? Oscillating noise? Low Hum?

Could be a ground loop, or computer electrical noise. Better soundcards (particularly the EM-U's are well shielded from the computer noise.

-Ed

Aug 31, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd suspect it's your Audigy making the noise and being amplified. I believe that card doesn't really playback in true 24-bit/96kHz rate.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Its just a background noise that you cant get rid of.Where it originates,from low quality components,from elecromagnetic interference inside the computer I dont know.What you can do to lower it is mute Midi synth and CD audio in Volume->Advanced in Windows,and put the Wave slider to max,and put General device volume to about 70% or lower.

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Go to Guitar Center, offer $165+ tax for EM-U 1212m -> go back home -> open computer and remove Audigy and discard in nearest trash recepticle -> remove any traces of Audigy from computer -> insert 1212m and install drivers -> be very very happy you now have good sound...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh yeah, you'll need some new cables too!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back