Computer Grade Capacitors
Jun 23, 2001 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

templeboy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering whether those capacitors are worse than regular capacitors by manufacturers like Panasonic. I'm asking this because they seem to be very inexpensive in surplus stores.
confused.gif

Jun 24, 2001 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 4
I think they're actually better than regular caps. There was a thread mentioning this long time ago on Headwize if I remember well. I think Thingyness had some...?

They are most likely not manufactured anymore and are therefore cheap.

However, if they were manufactured long time ago, they might not be in that good shape now. I don't think electrolytic capacitors age well even if not used.

Jun 24, 2001 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Computor grade capacitors are Verry Good, Old ones May be able to be reformed by Slowly Charging them via a large resistor in series. However Newer Capacitors have Improved Technology and Thus may be Better Sonicly. Those Old Soup Cans As i call Them may not sound as good as like the New Solid Electrolytisc in the Mids and High's. What those OLD SOUP CANS Were Good at is Bass and Control. Thay have a High Ripple Current rating and LowESR(Equiv. Series resistence) But have alot of inductance as well as Having Larger Dialectric Absorbtion than Newer Fomulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back