Component Video Cables Vs Composite Video Cables
Oct 21, 2008 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus
I figured this was the best place to put this thread as it was discussing cables but the cables in question are video cables and not audio cables.

Basically, I was wiring up a cheap 5.1 surround system in the exercise room to a TV in the same room for my mom to watch movies on while she exercises. Since the TV and DVD player both supported component video, I decided this would be a good excuse to wire the two up through the component video ports. Since I didn't have component video cables on hand, I looked at them online and concluded from pictures that the only difference between them and composite video cables are the fact that you only need one composite video cable and 3 component video cables and the color coding is different. Beyond that, all the cables just looked like regular cable terminated with RCA male jacks on either ends and the ports on the TV and DVD player look just like the ones for composite video as well (RCA female). Anyhow, I had a boat-load of yellow coded composite video cables lying around so I used them to wire up the composite video ports making sure to match the correct ports on the TV and DVD player since I wasn't using the right color coding system. I fired it up and set it to the correct channel and I got audio, but no video. Is there something I am missing fundamentally about the difference between the hook-up cables that would cause this setup to not work?

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Component video cables typically use 75 Ohm (e.g. co-axial) cables. The same cannot be said for composite video cables.

this

component cables aren't expensive and even SDTVs can benefit from using component instead of composite

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 13
It should work most of the time as long as you keep the runs short. The critical cable to get a picture at all is going to be Y (luminesence, or the green one), so try swapping that one out. Sometimes the impedance mismatch will prevent the picture from syncing. In that case, you're sol and will need proper component cables.

The other issue might be the DVD player. Some older players require some dinking around in the menu to enable the component output.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 13
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to snag a set and switch over to them; I just haven't used them before and thought that if the cables themselves were physically no different, why not just use what I had for the time being.

In any case, I'll also make sure to try your suggestions marvin.

Thanks again!

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 13
My guess is your utter lack of video is not due to the cables, but rather something else.

It could be something in the setup menu of the DVD player, as many require you to activate the component out. Try using one of the composite cables as it was intended (i.e. yellow plug) and run through the setup menu for the player.

If not that, it's hypothetically possible that you just don't have a 75 ohm cable that the player expects, but it's not likely.
You could also have them hooked up wrong despite your careful assembly. I'd double check each one to make sure it's where it belongs. You can still get a picture (albeit an unwatchable one) by reversing your pB and pR, but I think if you hook the luma into the wrong jack you're SOL.

Crap, that was a lot of acronyms.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the heads-up.

I did look at the menu on the DVD player and it does have an option that needs to be toggled for component video. Does anyone know if the system toggles by default to the composite video if component video is set and not used. The only reason I ask is because I want to ensure that if I toggle the DVD menu to component video and it still doesn't work, I have some way to toggle back to composite video since I wouldn't be able to see the menu anymore.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 13
Yeah, this problem is as old as component video.

Generally, there is a reset code built into DVD players to allow you to set the thing back to factory without using a display. You'll need to read the manual for your specific player, however.

My guess is that you won't have any problem whatsoever. I've wired tons of tv's up with composite cables as components and never had a problem with the cables not working.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Most not all yellow composite video cables are 75ohm so 3 of those will
work if marked and placed correctly and some but not all dvd players
default to composite and most high end players output in all modes
except hdmi on those the choice is hdmi or everthing else. The order for
picture quality hdmi>dvi>component>composite.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The order for
picture quality hdmi>dvi>component>composite.

actually it's HDMI=DVI>component>s-video>composite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back