Complement to Aeon 2 Closed
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gKalkin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all!

I recently bought a pair of Aeon 2 Closed in anticipation of returning to an office full time.

I am looking for an open back complement for the A2C. I've had the opportunity to try Ether 2, HD-800s, Focal Clear MG, and a bunch of other headphones at a local shop.

Unfortunately it was not the best environment as there was music playing from speakers so it was difficult to get a full sense of each set. However, I really liked the soundstage and comfort of the HD-800s. I tried a bunch of genres and it didn't seem particularly lacking in ways that I have seen it described.

I enjoyed the Ether 2 as well but it honestly didn't seem to distinguish itself from the A2C enough to justify the cost.

The Clear MG was my least favorite of the bunch as I was fiddling with the fit way more than any of the other cans. So Focals might be a no-go for me across the board since they are all essentially the same build. I also didn't really see what people are talking about when they say Focals have "incredible slam and dynamics."

Anyway, I am not sure exactly what I want to complement the A2C. To me, the A2C is a pretty good all-rounder. It is decently wide for a closed back, has great timbre, pretty good separation, and is definitely the most resolving of anything I have owned. It is great on jazz, rock, electronic, new age, and traditional metal. However, it seems to lack the intensity I am looking for with certain genres like progressive metal where things get pretty dense. (I am willing to admit that it might just be that the progressive metal artists that I enjoy just have compressed recordings. /shrug)

I also have a pair of 6XXs and they are great, however they are just way too narrow and intimate and don't seem to be different enough from the A2Cs for me to put them on over the A2Cs. Except if it super warm, then the open back wins as I am able to stay a bit cooler.

A bit long winded but I wanted to give you all my perception of what I am currently using.

Currently I am considering HD-800s and ZMF Aeolus / Auteur.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions and thoughts. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 4
The way you describe your preferences sounds like you‘d enjoy the HD800S.
The soundstage and detail are really amazing, and if you are fine with the signature, go for them. If you are not sure, try to listen to them again in a quiet environment.

But to be honest, for me it always takes a week or two to evaluate and understand strengths and weaknesses of a headphone/IEM, and it can take even longer. So if you have the option to test one in your home environment it would be even better.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 4
The Audio Technica ATH ADX5000 is well worth an audition alongside the HD800s.

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 4
The way you describe your preferences sounds like you‘d enjoy the HD800S.
The soundstage and detail are really amazing, and if you are fine with the signature, go for them. If you are not sure, try to listen to them again in a quiet environment.

But to be honest, for me it always takes a week or two to evaluate and understand strengths and weaknesses of a headphone/IEM, and it can take even longer. So if you have the option to test one in your home environment it would be even better.
Yea, it is difficult to get a sense outside of my home environment. Impressions can be subject to so many subjective factors including how I am feeling that day.

Will probably just have to be willing to buy and sell gear until I find what I like, haha. In the end it will be a bit more expensive but I'll have fun along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back