Comfortable Closed heaphones < $250 for use with glasses (Movies, games)
Dec 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sattelight

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some recommendations for some closed headphones that would be good to use with thin-framed glasses, mostly for watching movies and gaming

I also have some other specific qualities that I am looking for:

-  Comfort: Would like these to be as comfortable as possible for use with glasses and for long-term usage (2-4 hours at a time)
  -  Isolation: Needs to be decent but not great. Mainly just needs to block out the noise from the computer in the room along with AC
  -  Sound Qualities: Mainly just want something that will create an immersive and exciting listening experience. A headphone that is easy to get lost in and will not cause listening fatigue. I am fairly sensitive to treble so I don't want anything that is gonna be too hot in the treble. Clarity is also important; I definitely don't want a headphone that is gonna sound muddy in any way.  

To summarize I'm looking for a headphone that is going to be comfortable, with decent Isolation and a sound signature that is fun and good for gaming/movies.

Some of the options I have been looking at are:

-  Beyerdynamic DT 770-80: Have heard great things about these headphones, specifically in regards to comfort and their "exciting" sound signature. I am a little worried about the treble but perhaps it wouldn't be as much of a problem since they will mainly be used for movies/games?

-  ATH M50X: Hear almost universal praise for these things. I believe they're primarily intended for use with music and I'm a little worried about using them with glasses and have heard they are not the most comfortable...

-  SoundMAGIC HP100: Seem like another great option but I haven't read as much about these and am not sure how they'd do with glasses and their comfort in general

-  AKG K550: Look pretty impressive and look incredibly comfortable. These seem to be somewhat polarizing. Was looking into them and came across a review here on head-fi that had me worried about the upper midrange http://tinyurl.com/ospbb7s. I would be interested to hear any thoughts about this

Right now the Beyers are probably at the top of my list but I am worried a little about the treble. The soundmagics are probably in second but I'm a little worried about their comfort.

Whatever I get will primarily be powered by a Fiio E17 Alpen

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any input y'all may have on these headphones or any others that you think may fit my criteria. If you have any questions that would make it easier for me to help you help me then be sure to let me know

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 4
The DT 770 (especially the 80 Ohm version) are probably the most comfortable for the most people, but are also probably the worst sound wise on your list--especially for someone who is treble sensitive.

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  Eyeglasses, which vary greatly-even on the same head, further complicate the issue.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah it's gonna be hard to beat the DT770's in comfort. Even though comfort is subjective, I'd think most people would say these are the most comfortable closed headphone.

For me, the treble isn't really an issue. It's not unpleasant treble to my ears. And there is loads of bass which rounds out the low end nicely. Normally I like a darker sound signature, which is why I upgraded to the Shure SRH1540, but my DT770 still gets plenty of use when I want to get a little more analytic in my music listening.

EDIT: And yes the DT770 is great for movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back