colored records
Jun 19, 2002 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
I was going through my collection when I found a record pressed in gold. In the seventies, there was a great many records pressed in different colors and logos.
Are these pressings worth more?
thanks,
md

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 12
hmm, I know some high quality cds today have a gold color, and they are more expensive. But I think that's because of the mastering. What cds do you have?

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I was going through my collection when I found a record pressed in gold. In the seventies, there was a great many records pressed in different colors and logos.
Are these pressings worth more?
thanks,
md

I dunno that they are worth more... Guess it depends on what the record actually is... "Star Wars Disco" might catch a few bucks extra while I doubt "John Denver Sings Your Polka Hits" wouldn't.

It's worth noting that coloring vinyl is a trivial task. The natural color is more of an opaque white so even the black ones have to be dyed. I guess back in the 70s it was a marketing ploy to sell more records. You know, the ones wil a blue ring around the edge sounds better.

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 12
oh god! RECORDS! DOH!

sorry, I thought you meant cds. . . when I saw 70s I should have caught on!
rolleyes.gif

Stupid me. . .

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 12
plenty of companies still make colored vinyl. i have a friend who got her clear vinyl copy of boys for pele signed by tori amos. now that is quite a sight!

Jun 19, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
plenty of companies still make colored vinyl. i have a friend who got her clear vinyl copy of boys for pele signed by tori amos. now that is quite a sight!

GOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL! GOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!

What a score! I'd be framing that if I were her.

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 12
millerdog,

colored records are really just for the cool factor. price is dependent on the press count and the master, but generally colored records do seel for more than a same count/transfer as straight black vinyl. the cost increase is usually equivalent to import/domestic.

picture lps are another matter all together, once again dependent on above but their aesthetic value usually makes the price insane. a perfect example are the limited release metallica stuff, interesting artwork and some sell in the $1k range. of course limited, but it ain't THAT limited
wink.gif

is your record literally gold? i know some artists/labels release complementary gold plated records for stores or framed pieces for collectors, and i've heard rumors that they're playable, but i have yet to know of someone who has tried.

best,
carlo.

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 12
Real Gold? Nah, just a gold vinyl pressing of Steely Dan's AJa I forgot I had. I also had a picture disc from someone that I must have traded off.
I just figured it was a novelty thing, but I guess it would be worth something to a Steely Dan fan like me.
thanks,
md

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
is your record literally gold? i know some artists/labels release complementary gold plated records for stores or framed pieces for collectors, and i've heard rumors that they're playable, but i have yet to know of someone who has tried.

best,
carlo.

I've heard this too and while they probably are playable, I would think this to be a pretty awful experience for the needle and quite possibly the ears as well (harsh metallic highs would be my guess).

Jun 21, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 12
The Smiths put out all their singles on colored vinyl IIRC. Quite the collectors items too now.

Jun 21, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
I've heard this too and while they probably are playable, I would think this to be a pretty awful experience for the needle and quite possibly the ears as well (harsh metallic highs would be my guess).

heheh, no pun intended?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back