Coincident Dynamo 34SE
Oct 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Haidar

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard this with headphones?

For those on a budget but who still demand top flight sonics and build quality, the Dynamo will prove to be a revelation. Single ended triode tube sound that belies its 8 watt power rating. Any 90 db sensitivity speaker can be powered with startling clarity and dynamics. Build quality not seen at twice the price. Perfect for those who want a simple compact set up or as a second system where true musicality is insisted upon. Hard to believe that this much performance and quality can be had for $1299. Volume control obviates the need for a line stage since it permits direct connection to a CD player or DAC.

Specifications:
Single Ended EL 34 output- 
8 watts per channel
6SL7 input/driver tube,
Auto Bias
5U4 GB rectifier tube
All hard wired
Stainless steel mirror finish chassis
Output impedance : 4, 8 ohms
Voltage selectable: 115V/230V
Frequency response: 20 hz- 20khz- flat
Sensitivity: 300 mv full output
Input impedance : 100K ohms
S/N Ratio- 88 db 
Weight: 22 lbs
Price : $1299 US.

The Turbo also serves as a state of the art headphone amp. A convenient front panel headphone jack is included. Output impedance is a standard 300 ohms.

Both stereo integrated amplifiers will offer breakthrough performance for the price. Highest value available in all of high end.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi, I'm not sure if you are still interested to know about this amp. 2 months ago I bought this amp, didn't spend much time with headphones though, but mostly used with speakers. Based on the speaker listening, it's an excellent amp. The sound is very natural, no digital harshness, I can say more in to warmer side. The presentation is little bit laid back and relaxing, throw a huge sound stage. The most noticeable thing is bass, bass is amazing, hard to believe you can get such an impact full, punchy bass from only 8 watts. It's definitely go deeper and pronounce than my Peachtree Audio Nova, it could have been bit tighter/faster though, but the amp is not fully broken in yet (less than 50 hours). Vocals are lush and beautiful, most natural vocals I've ever heard up to date. Treble is very details, it really shine my Swans T900 isodynamic ribbon tweeter. Generally I enjoy the presentation a lot, it's a very transparent but a musical amp. I own the Decware Super Zen amp as well, Super Zen is more transparent, more detailed and very fast compared to the Dynamo 34SE, but I enjoy Dynamo 34SE more with most of the music. 

About headphones I can't tell much about, I've listened with Audio Technica ATH-M50 few times, but this amp prefer a high impedance headphone as suggested. My headphone listening is not as good as expected, specially compared to how it perform with speakers, may be due to the impedance mismatching. Bass is bit boomy (I believe ATH M50 is already a bass heavy headphone), seems too much bass cover the macro and micro details. But as a speaker amp, I can't recommend this amp highly enough, superb.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 14
There is a new Dynamo 34SE MK II out.  Anyone heard it yet?  8 wpc at the speaker outs and 6 wpc at the headphone out.  Price did increase $200 with the changes:

1. Power Supply - The power transformer has been enlarged by 50%. Much improved insulation and winding techniques result in noiseless operation, and a 40% reduction in generated heat levels.  Filtering and energy storage has been increased by a whopping 70%. The sonic improvement is substantial- deeper, more impactful lower frequencies, wider dynamics and the ability to drive a much wider range of speakers without strain. Distortion levels at high SPLs and low frequencies has been reduced by 35%. Furthermore, the large power supply has now been isolated from the sensitive input circuitry resulting in the elimination of electromagnetic interference.
2. Chassis - Not only is the chassis 20% larger in order to accommodate the huge new power transformer, it has been stiffened and braced to reduce unwanted resonances. Sonically this translates to greater purity and transparency. The Dynamo has gone from weighing 22 lbs to 30 lbs.
3. Capacitors- Every single capacitor has been doubled in voltage capacity which provides bullet proof reliability and eliminates potential problems in areas afflicted with high AC line voltage that is prone to surging and/ or fluctuation.
4. Tube Rectifier - The previously used instant on 5U4GB rectifier tube has been replaced with the soft start 5AR4. This provides a safeguard against excessive inrush current upon turn on.  

The overall improvement wrought by the MK. II is highly significant. From virtually eliminating noise so that the Dynamo can successfully be used with ultra high sensitivity speakers and increasing its power capabilities so that it can mate with a wider range of lower sensitivity speakers to unshakeable reliability in any environment to stunning performance enhancements that include deeper, punchier bass, greater transparency and purity overall, more expansive soundstage and greater extension and air in the treble all combine to create an amplifier that while is hard to surpass at $5000, is unmatched at its value laden price of only $1499 US. While the original Dynamo 34SE at $1299 US was considered the finest value in all of high end audio, all the huge and costly improvements incorporated in the MK. II with only a $200 increase in price, make the MK. II even more of an audiophile bargain.

http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/mpsip_amps.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/coincident3/1.html

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0316/Coincident_Speaker_Technology_Dynamo_34SE_MKII_Review.htm

Apr 11, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 14
It's a very old tread, but who knows, perhaps there are some Coincident Dynamo 34SE MKII owner around here?

At the moment I use it in my desktop system. It's a nice little amp and it makes a lot of fun to roll some tubes. Soundwise it's definitely impressive. I think it's hard to find a better amp in this price range. As soon as I get some resistors I will use it as a standalone headamp.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 14
I just purchased a used MkII and intend to connect my Abyss 1266 Phi directly to binding posts. I asked Israel about this and said it should work fine. Someone apparently powered his HE-6's this way so it should have enough power for the Abyss. I'm hoping there is minimal noise and I have enough play on the volume control.

It looks like the MkII can be sent in to be retrofitted for 300B output, so also interested in any impressions with 300B.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Just a quick update. The Dynamo II powers the Abyss 1266 Phi nicely. Sounds great in fact. However, I hardly have any volume play between 0 and too loud. I'd say just about a quarter turn or less. Makes sense, the amp is made for much more resistance than it's seeing. So, might be selling the amp and continue the hunt...

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 14
Just a quick update. The Dynamo II powers the Abyss 1266 Phi nicely. Sounds great in fact. However, I hardly have any volume play between 0 and too loud. I'd say just about a quarter turn or less. Makes sense, the amp is made for much more resistance than it's seeing. So, might be selling the amp and continue the hunt...
Which version of amp you tried EL34B or 300B ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back