Cmoy Opamps 2132 vs 2134 vs 2228
Aug 4, 2001 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Of the three CHA47-compatible opamps, which are the best, in terms of sound and noise? (I noticed that with my Stock Cmoy the backround noise level went down *substantially* when I replaced the 2 228s with 2 134s.)

Offtopic: How come you can't delete your own posts?

Aug 4, 2001 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 5
None of the opamps we use here should have *any* audiable noise... The problem with your 228 is probably oscillation, it is not as stable as the 134 and will oscillate if the layout isn't very good or the gain is below 5...

Aug 4, 2001 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Thomas nailed it I think. I got oscillations with *228 even when I used it on a PCB. And with any of these opamps and good power supply you'll be able to hear noise of analog master tapes in some cases.

Aug 4, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 5
The differences in the chip's noise figures themselves? You cannot hear them. I doubt you can hear them at a gain of 100. And unless you've got one serious scope, you can't measure them... A couple nanovolts, or even microvolts difference?

It's configuration specific. I can't tell you what you'll hear in advance of swapping without knowing the total layout, especially the gain and the resistor values, topology, layout, the position of Mars in relation to the direction your house faces, etc...

Sometimes, it's nothing correct but something wrong you hear... that "air" sound that people call hiss, it CAN be high frequency oscillation, really! I didn't believe it the first time I experienced it either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also take into account bandwidth... if a given opamp is dropping back to unity around 30kHz full bandwidth, and another is dropping back around 210kHz, which do you think will sound quieter? Technically you can't hear either, right? But test it. You can.

Also if you're controlling the bandwidth yourself, with compensation pins or a shunt capacitor across feedback resistors... you can control which sounds better, or at least "quieter" as you say. (or a multiloop feedback scheme, same diff)

Just dropping in chips, you might not have a great experience... but tailoring each design to a specific set of critera (volume needed, load, gain, source, etc)... then you can optimize it so that different chip swaps affect the sound less and less...

This is why you gotta respect commercial designs - these engineering guys are designing amps to be everything to everyone... and that cannot be done. Getting close, even marginally close... is godhood.

Which is the best? Heh. I won't go there.

Aug 5, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes, I think with my Cmoy the issue was oscillation, and since I did everything *exactly* like the original plans (without R5, since I have Etys), I think the gain is around 5 or so (IIRC).
With the CHA47s, I don't hear *nearly* as much hiss (but I did install R5s at 47ohms, since the one that's working is for my dad's Grados).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back