Closed-back Headphone, JOKER is here!
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MOONDROP

Sponsor: Moondrop
As our first closed-back headphone, JOKER uses 50mm dynamic drivers independently developed and is based on a magnetic circuit architecture optimized through FEA, and the large-size alloy-coated dome diaphragm provides a solid hardware foundation for high-quality audio monitoring! It's coming at US$79.99! Let's continue!

PHI_6382.jpg

Joker was designed to meet the stringent monitoring requirements of professional recording studios. It delivers precise sound reproduction and avoids the inaccurate timbre and veiled details of traditional professional monitoring closed-back headphones.

PHI_6359.jpg

To overcome common acoustic problems caused by cavity standing waves in closed-back dynamic-driver headphones, MOONDROP took as a reference point the structure of the legendary MDR-R10 closed-back dynamic-driver headphone.

The Joker features a large-volume brass acoustic cavity with an asymmetric structure, using a die-stamping process to reduce the weight of the housing. Acoustic damping material suppresses inner-cavity standing waves, and a damping pressure vent and damping acoustic short-circuit structure combine to deliver accurate timbre and fast detail response.

The Joker’s wider frequency response provides a better match for HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function) characteristics, transcending the dull sound quality of traditional closed-back monitoring headphones, and restoring timbre, accurate details, and a more balanced triple-frequency range.
23.jpg

The Joker uses standard dual 3.5mm headphone jacks to permit easy cable swapping for a variety of usage scenarios such as studio monitoring, professional mixing, and even audio-visual entertainment. And its quick-release ear pads are made of protein leather, offering quick and easy replacement and maintenance.

5.jpg

The exterior of the brass acoustic cavity is coated with a special black paint finish that will develop a unique and beautiful patina from repeated use and polishing. A special abrasive pad is provided for users wishing to create their own original finish. If you're DIYer, give it a try!

Last edited:
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Aug 15, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Would have liked to see something to tie it into your beautifully designed IEMs, but the patina paint is a nice touch. It will be interesting to see some of the DIY designs.

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 12
I received Joker today and for 65 € sale price I am quite impressed about the clarity and imaging. I like the focused soundstage also feeling like a bubble around my head. Sub bass is missing though, so these are like a more bright and aggressive Sennheiser HD 600. Still, I don't perceive any unnatural harshness or added sibilance, so upper mids and treble seem to even out each other nicely.

PXL_20230822_093957826.jpg

I will add FR measurements (GRAS Clone with the new pinna) to my squig.link later today. Super Review already has measured these, but with the older less accurate pinna I assume. Moondrops own measurements seem to be accurate, as was the case with Venus and Void.

Btw, I didn't receive any sandpaper to modify the brass cups, so there must be some miscommunication with the marketing.

Edit (I hope this can be posted here):
1692715136516.png

Should be easy to EQ around 400 Hz and 2-3 kHz if needed. Treble is very even considering the closed cups. An amp like Cayin iHA-6 with 120 ohm output impedance would boost bass 1,5 dB from 180 Hz to 20 Hz, which is actually quite nice. This also makes Joker quite safe to use with older high impedance gear, as bass isn't boosted too much compared to higher frequencies. I would have hoped more sub bass, but they clearly thought that monitoring headphones shouldn't have any. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 12
Cool - any comments on comfort and isolation?

The pads are slightly perforated and clamping force is light, so isolation isn't that great without anything playing while wearing them. Comfort for me is ok, as the headband is well padded and total weight is quite low. Even my larger ears fit inside the pads, which at first didnt't look deep enough. For some the perfect seal might be hard to achieve however, as without extending the headband enough it is easy to have air gap at the lower part of ear. The horse shoe shape of the structure is not as refined as in Sennheiser HD 600 series. I might try bending the metal parts to add more clamp.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Anyone feel that the Earpad tuning foam is doing too good a job at damping the highs? Also can we buy extra pads to play with the tuning?

Its my biggist pet peve in that the highs have this unnatural density to them compared to the rest of the frequenies. trying the the joker near freefield sound removed the extended sustain but its not a solution at all since Im fighting the headband spring and that ties up my hands.

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 12
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back