Cleaning vinyl?
May 25, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Possenti
Can you use 100% denatured alcohol to clean vinyl or would that be too strong?

I wouldn't use it. Isopropyl mixed to 25% with distilled water is as harsh as I would get. I like the Buggtussel record cleaner but there are a number of good record cleaners that don't use alcohol at all. It can dry the vinyl out over time and thats a bad thing. Make sure to dry your records after cleaning. You don't want to play them wet!!!

Todd

May 25, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Good advice all 'round, Todd. For those with the patience, I'd recommend the Disc Doctor cleaning system, along with their brushes. People have been known to use it in conjunction with a RCM as well.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 6
If you don't want to buy a commercial solution, there are lots of DIY recipes you can find by searching at www.audioasylum.com
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Danger! Is there a chance that this might be an old 78 (shellac) record? If so, then you really don't want to use alcohol on this, as it will dissolve! That's bad. Don't use denatured alcohol either, because it has stuff added to it that isn't alcohol, won't evaporate, and will come out of solution when you add water. At least that's my experience.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back