Cleaning Stylus?
Jan 29, 2006 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
Noob question here.

After cleaning the stylus with the stylus cleaner sparingly, how long do I leave it to dry? Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I bought the Audio Technica stylus cleaner.

Audio Technica used to make a pretty cool ultrasonic stylus cleaner which vibrated the dirt off with sound waves...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Be warned: Many cartridge manufacturers do not recommend using any kind of cartridge cleaning material for their styli. I know this is the case with my Grado Platinum

I would take this with a pinch of salt, in the same way Linn don't recommend cleaning your records with anything other than the stylus. This just causes the stylus to wear more quickly so you need to buy a new one.

If you invest in a stylus microscope and a decent cleaning kit and brush very gently from back to front your stylus should be fine. Worst case you mess it up and need to replace it.

Wait 'till you get into moving coils, then if you mess up you are looking at shipping the whole thing to Australia to get it rebuilt by the Garrot Brothers or similar....

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Be warned: Many cartridge manufacturers do not recommend using any kind of cartridge cleaning material for their styli. I know this is the case with my Grado Platinum.

Oh, how do you clean your stylus? I think the manual (sort of) that came with the Goldring said the dust that accumulates on the stylus can be blown off. (saliva contamination?
eek.gif
)

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Wait 'till you get into moving coils, then if you mess up you are looking at shipping the whole thing to Australia to get it rebuilt by the Garrot Brothers or similar....

I thought they topped themselves.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
I beleive the company still continues in their name.

Their name, stock, etc. was purchased by a company after their suicide, afaik, and yes, that company still uses the name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back