Cleaning earpads with rubbing alcohol.
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zoltankr

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X with the stock earpads. I was wondering if I can use a microfiber cloth that has some rubbing alcohol on it to clean them. The IPA alcohol I use is at a 70% concentration which is usually lower than the 99% IPA rubbing alcohol sold at stores. I use this alchohol for cleaning LCD screens and all my electronics but I'm not sure about the earpads because they look more like leather pads. Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 4
Naphtha or lighter fluid might work on some surfaces. But be careful since it might dry out surfaces (allegedly)

If there is odor and remnants of sweat and nothing works, I would just let it sit on a shelf for a few months. In theory microbes will eat away bio remnants. That is how human waste mysteriously disappears over time.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Bad idea, alcohol even in dilute form can cause inflation to some materials, and will impact the life of product. There are several other alcohol free agents available for clean that you search for if your pads are really very dirty; Else use of some warm water is always a good idea, just read about a bit which material you are working on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back