"Classic Rock" a misnomer?
Jul 28, 2002 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rickfri

No longer lurking
I've seen several threads on this board lately about Classic Rock. I've also heard many radio stations say they are Classic Rock radio stations. Every time I hear this it kind of pisses me off.
The definition of Classic rock seems to be anything from the Beatles to the decade previous to the one we're in. Right now it seems to be from about 1963 to 1999.
Seems to me the "Classic Rock' people always leave off anything pre Beatles. They always leave off people like Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Brenda Lee, Buddy Holly, etc.
If these people aren't classic rockers nobody is. I think that every rock and roll band has probably played, if not covered, at least one Chuck Berry song (you know the one, if not, shame on you).
Most of the bands recording know how important these people were in influencing them, but the "Classic Rock" stations don't seem to have grasped this fact.
Granted, that these early rockers were not recorded as well as music today, but Classical stations play selections pre 60's and so do Jazz stations. Looks like these early rockers are being placed into the "Oldie but Goody" catagory with Frankie Avalon and Annette, or worse yet into "Country".
If radio stations, and people, keep using this definition of "Classic Rock" maybe the name should be changed to "Neo-Classic Rock".
Well, that's my rant for this week end. Does anybody else share this opinion, or not?

Jul 28, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 4
I think it is all about target markets and getting a good book rather than a true definition of what Classic Rock is. If you look back the roots go back to the early Blues and Jazz songs. All the radio stations really care about is market share and advertisers. They are all searching for a mix that will draw in their target market.

Jul 28, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 4
I can almost understand (if not agree with) the radio stations.
What I don't understand is the lists that people put out. I was going to put this rant in another thread on "Classic Rock what's your favorite" but didn't want to crap in that thread. I just posted to that thread with the people mentioned here.

Jul 28, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 4
First let me say that live in the middle of nowhere.
The "classic rock" radio station that I've heard plays anything from the mid 60's to late 70's. Artists like Buddy Holly, Bill Haley and stuff from that era plus The Mammas & The Papas are played on the "oldies" station.
I read once that classic rock is not a genre of music, but rather just a marketing tag. I think the term is over used because it is such an easy name for all the good music that was around before disco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back