Cirrus Logic to buy Wolfson
Apr 29, 2014 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

muziq

100+ Head-Fier
http://investor.cirrus.com/news-and-events/media-center/news-details/2014/Cirrus-Logic-Agrees-to-Acquire-Wolfson-Microelectronics/default.aspx

Still reading it myself...but seems germane to this community's interests...

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 7
I was going to post the news myself; This is huge, and I am sure not many saw this coming. Watch out Burr-Brown!! :p

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 7
  I was going to post the news myself; This is huge, and I am sure not many saw this coming. Watch out Burr-Brown!! :p

That was my thinking.  The CS 4398 is an "old chip" in CS's product catalog despite being a one of a few go-to DAC chips among portable head-fi manufacturers.  Makes me wonder just what kinds of new tech options could be coming down the path for head-fi manufacturers once this acquisition goes through and CS begins working with/through Wolfson's IP.  

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 7
The Cirrus chips are  a lot more expensive. So expect them to push up the Wolfson chips prices.
But the CS8416 is a lot more advanced than the equivalent WM8804 and WM8805. The higher jitter from the CS8416 is the only downside when compared to that of the WM8804.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 7
  The higher jitter from the CS8416 is the only downside when compared to that of the WM8804.

You noticed that too? Both have their high points, it's just sad to see a respectable company swallowed up.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Let's all hope the engineers all get along. These mergers can get quit ugly when egos start to get involved.

Different cultures. Usually many managers of the bought company get axed. The good engineers leave because they don't like the new style of management. The ones left have to learn and follow the new ways of doing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back