Cincinnati, Ohio meet impressions-1/29/2005
Feb 8, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #31 of 35
It occurs to me that almost every song I heard at the meet was accoustic. Next time, I will have to actually listen to that Thriller CD.
tongue.gif

Sacd lover, the mini-meet idea sounds good to me.

Feb 8, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
It occurs to me that almost every song I heard at the meet was accoustic. Next time, I will have to actually listen to that Thriller CD.
tongue.gif

Sacd lover, the mini-meet idea sounds good to me.

A while back i stopped listening to beautful simple recordings, like the ferrington acoustic guitar sampler. the reason being, it sounded good with EVERYthing.

therefore, out came "Thriller" by MJ. Beat it, Thriller, are challenging tracks to get down right. Very complex and potentially overwhelming. But they aren't recorded hot, so the potential is there for all the separation and detail you need. Beat it will sound like absolute crap from a CD3K with a mismatched system, yet sound like manna from a HP-2 in a melos amp.

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #33 of 35
Sorry, but I can't bring myself around to listening to a CD recorded by "WACKO JACKO", the perv king.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #34 of 35
(REPRINT): As far as recableing the DT 880's, I read a thread about useing CAT5 networking cable (available at computer store/ or Rat Shack). I had a gold 1/4" XLR plug and 10' of CAT5 laying around also. This is a super cheap upgrade option and it works. It was very easy as I did not know how the DT 880's were assembled or how to disassemble them. The recableing thread was geared toward Senn 650's and did not go into assembly or disassembly. I found it to be overly easy to do. It took very little time. The CAT5 cable jacket is blue in color and is reasonably flexible and compliant. There are eight wires inside the cable so I paired them up (brown+brown and white striped made up one, green+green and white stripe made up another, and so on). The ends of the pairs were twisted together and tinned with soldier to make up a four wire conductor. The CAT5 is low in microphonics. The cable swap gave little sonic improvement so far as breakin has just started. The bass is a little improved and the highs are very little, better controlled. But the good news is that there is no more "God awfull" coiled cord to deal with. Easy to do, fast, and unbelievibly CHEAP. Also I want to mention that on Saturday I only ran the CAT5 cable to the left earcup. Inside the left earcup there is a solder pad junction to solder wires to it and continue over the headband to the right earcup. I did not do this. For the little bit of 8 inches or so, what would it matter, right? WELLLL I was wrong in doing that. There was a sound improvement, with the initial cable install, but something was dimished also, in both channels. However the balance from left to right was OK. So, not being satisfied last night, I finished running the CAT5 wires over to the right side. WOW, that made a difference. Anything that was ever wrong with the DT880's is now corrected. What was wrong with them was very little. But now they have a pedigree of the highest order in it's price nich and well beyond. Much resolve and little better base. The highs are tamed also. I always wondered if cable changes were worth it or if you had to have Superman's ears to hear the change. But with this change it was worth it argonomicaly wise as well as audible. The new CAT 7 cable has groups of four wires which are shielded as well as an overall shield. It has better transmission qualities too. I might try that next. The DT 880's have bag loads of detail, IMHO, so I am not worried about silver wire which aids in that function. The copper lends itself to more warmth and musicality. If anyone knows what the diameter of CAT7 is to CAT5 and also a comment on the flexibility issue would be welcome.
Audable pluses are (1) twisted wire; Symmetrical field interactions: By using the braiding technique, it substantially reduces any asymmetrical field interactions since no pair (or wire) "rides" on either the inside or outside of the cable more than any other pair/wire.
(2) Copper stranded wire; The copper ads warmth and the stranding aids in flexibility.
(3) Low inductance: It has been demonstrated that low inductance is a desirable quality to have in a headphone cable due to the strong relationship between inductance and signal risetime.
(4) It's CHEAP and EASY to do.
rs1smile.gif
580smile.gif
600smile.gif

__________________________________________________ _______________
As far as the new tubes in the Moth goes: YES sir, it is indeed a very smooooooooth amp. The tubes hit the spot perfectly. I haven't done any overly critical listening yet, I try to but each time I just end up sitting there listening with a great big smile on my face, in audio heaven. P.S. The cable comparisons on the DT 880's were done on the SinglePower MPX3.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

The Moth was built new and delivered in mid November, to the first owner, so I think that the large capacitors are still not fully broken in yet. The sound is changing as I listen to it yet. I am not going to have this amp fixed though. I am going to raise it for STUD work.
blink.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #35 of 35
Why on earth did I wait so long to come back to these boards...

I finally move away from the frigid and audiophile devoid North Dakota and miss what looks like was a great meet... Damnit!

580smile.gif

Oh well maybe i'll get the chance to hear liquid gold in the future sometime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back