Cigarette smoke smell in electronics..... how to get rid of?
Feb 22, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #16 of 30
I'd imagine the R-134 they use in car AC units is similar enough to freon for electronics cleaning.

When I worked in electronics assy., we used perchlorethlyene, which not only cleaned the rosin off like nobody's business, but would disolve styrofoam peanuts as fast as they fell into it. I don't think you could find that stuff too easily though.

I'd use the r-134 on the board, and try clorex spray cleaner with bleach then febreeze on the chassis. Then let it air out for a couple of days.

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #17 of 30
Yeah, I have some AKG-K1000s that I bought a few years ago, and they still smell pretty heavily of smoke...I guess I will try the febreeze on the case, and then spray it on a cloth and wipe it on the phones. I can't really wipe the drivers though...I suppose just getting the enclosure might help.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #18 of 30
If I receive any electronic devices with a smoky smell, I remove the casing/cover, if possible, then douse the innards with a plastic-safe, non-conductive contact cleaner (e.g. Electrosolve). I also wipe down the exterior of the item with a cloth with some Electrosolve spritzed onto it.

The contact cleaner's odour is quite strong, but it dissipates quickly, usually taking the smoky smell away with it.

D.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #19 of 30
I ruined my case. I used a lysol spray. I put it on, and thought a minute and said hmmm.... I think I should have spot tested first, so I rinsed it off and now it's all discolored with white stains on it. I know I know, I shouldn't have used it. The smell is now gone though
frown.gif
Any ideas on what kind of paint I can use to get it back like new? It's an aluminum case, here's a before pic of it http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=62145
Yes, that was my brand new PPA. Argh! Well I figure maybe some sandpaper, some paint, compund can get it good as new?
*edit* Someone mentioned 1500 grit sandpaper and polishing compound. Any ideas?

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #21 of 30
Well just the top of the case. Everything works fine (I took off the top of the case), just have to touch up the black part of it. The strength of the order was really unbearable. Has my whole room lit up with that smell, but it's all good. If push come to shove I can just order the top part from Par-metal again.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Holy smackers, that sucks. Remind me not to use lysol on my components.......

I bet your Cary remote could take it, though, that thing is one tough cookie
biggrin.gif

Well at least the damage sounds easily fixable. Why is it that your new PPA would have a smoke smell (I wouldn't think a builder would ship an amp in that condition without warning the buyer)?

EDIT: Almost to 1500, eh Stuart?

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I Why is it that your new PPA would have a smoke smell (I wouldn't think a builder would ship an amp in that condition without warning the buyer)?

frown.gif

329542ORIG.JPG

329541ORIG.JPG

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 30
Relax, have one of those apples...you'll feel better.
I would just try washing it with water -- that looks more like residue than corrosion...I could be wrong though. If that fails, matte black spray paint should do the job. Try black primer for painting minatures -- you could find it a a comic book/game store. It is matte black spray paint meant to adhere to lead or pewter...one brand is made by games workshop for their minatures...I used to use it to paint them, and it worked pretty well. It looks like it would work for what you have there.
Ironman -- yes, 1500 is approaching...hmm, it has taken me awhile, hasn't it?

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Relax, have one of those apples...you'll feel better.
I would just try washing it with water -- that looks more like residue than corrosion...I could be wrong though. If that fails, matte black spray paint should do the job. Try black primer for painting minatures -- you could find it a a comic book/game store. It is matte black spray paint meant to adhere to lead or pewter...one brand is made by games workshop for their minatures...I used to use it to paint them, and it worked pretty well. It looks like it would work for what you have there.

Water will not take care of that, I've tried. I'm going to try repainting it. It looks like paint has come off of it, where you see what looks like corrosion, a layer of paint, that's what it appears to me.

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Make it good big guy! you only do the 1500 once (unless you decide to move some threads into "Take it Outside," then you could do it a whole bunch of times.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Jbroad572
Water will not take care of that, I've tried. I'm going to try repainting it. It looks like paint has come off of it, where you see what looks like corrosion, a layer of paint, that's what it appears to me.

Try the painting tips at this site. They painted an aluminum computer case. Should be pretty similar to what you'll be doing.

Of course, after going through all that effort, plus buying painting supplies, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new lid from Par-Metal.

D.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #30 of 30
I'm dropping in this thread to say 'thanks!' for all your suggestions! 

I'd like to offer that any impure water is more problematic than anything distilled of impurities; the impurities in water are what allow for conductivity.

Based on the suggestions for ethyl alcohol, I took some 'denatured alcohol' and spray the inner and outer nooks and crannies of the case and board of a router and modem, brushed with a dish brush, then dabbed dry with a paper towel. The two went from smelling like a smoker's car at 100% stink to a faint smell of a painted room that was smoked in the 70's at <10% stink.

Anyway, denatured alcohol -per the kind contributors to wikipedia- ethanol (ethyl alcohol) with some added VOC's that will keep you from drinking it! Save your Everclear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back