Cigar Review: Punch Rothschild Maduro
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
Punch Rothschild Maduro
Filler - Honduran, Ecuadorian, Nicaraguan?
Binder - Honduran, Ecuadorian, Nicaraguan
Wrapper - Connecticut Shade Leaf Maduro
Strength - Medium, Medium-Full

Construction - 4.7
Draw - 4.5
Flavor - 4.3
Aroma - 4.5
Finish - 4.8
Overall: 4.58

So, I found information on this cigar a little tough to find. If anyone knows of a place that lists the types of tobacco used in different cigars, let me know please.

In any case, I began this cigar with a whiff of the binder and the foot of the cigar, and was rewarded with the smell of a nice maduro tobacco and a woody aroma. I moistened the cap and clipped the tip of the cap off. Here, I ran into a slight problem, but not one that I would attribute to the manufacturer. The entire cap came off with the part I cut, probably due to improper storage humidity at the Puff 'n Snuff where I picked it up. However, to my surprise the cigar had no problem holding itself together until the end of the final third, even without the cap in place.

This leads me to what is perhaps the shining point of this cigar: the construction. The cigar is firm, bordering on hard. It has some small veins visible, but nothing crazy. A few bumps mar the perfection of the wrapper, but this is made up for by the oily sheen it displays. The burn stayed straight throughout the entire smoke, which has been a rarity in my recent smoking experience. The draw was slightly tighter than I typically like it, and the dryness of the head of the cigar prevented me from rolling it, lest I crack the wrapper completely.

When I lit the cigar, it displayed a nice woody aroma with a surprising hint of charcoal briquettes, which I actually kind of enjoyed. The flavor began (and pretty much stayed) with a mixture of leather and wood with a hint of spice in the background. The leather became more predominant as I smoked the cigar, while the wood faded into the background with the spice flavors. The taste remained fairly complex throughout and did not become boring or monotonous. I enjoyed the feel of the smoke in my mouth, but it was not particularly thick or creamy, but it was not airy either, a good balance in the middle.

Toward the end it began to burn a little bit hot, but I'm going to chalk that up to the improper storage that I mentioned earlier. The finish was nice, and kind of mild for a maduro cigar. I was left with little nicotine buzz, but then again, I did have a full stomach while smoking it.

Overall, I enjoyed this cigar a great deal. It happens to be fairly cheap as well at JR cigar, I believe a box of 25 goes for around 58 bucks, which I consider awesome. In any case, I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back