Christchurch, New Zealand Micro Meet
Oct 23, 2005 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Big thanks to those who made an effort to attend this meet. Rock (safetrader_1), Jack, and David (lenzman). The meet was lay back and not rushed with great pizza from Hell (Pizzaria's name
tongue.gif
)

Rock provided a lot of the gears and has always been a great friend to talk to about headphone stuff. Big cheers for the last minute Cyrus acquisition otherwise the meet would be running from one source only.
eek.gif

Thanks David for sharing with us the amp he's building and I found you are a very knowledgable person to talk to. I will post some more on the amp later on.

Another thanks for Jack who's the last minute inclusion. Hope your Head-fi induction was a great one.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Hope your wallet is not to hurting too much after this meet!

Alright, enough yapping here comes some really badly taken photos:

R0010088.jpg

^ Woodie Lineup: W10LTD, W100, W2002, W1000

R0010089.jpg

^ MIC DM Hybrid Amp, HA2002

R0010090.jpg

^ Qualia 010, Meridian CDP+DAC, Omega II with 007t

R0010091.jpg

^ Omega II, drool....

R0010092.jpg

^ My current home system, without the rack

R0010093.jpg

^ Rock playing with his new toy, Cyrus 1DP.

R0010094.jpg

^ David absorbed in Omega II and Jack Johnson

R0010096.jpg

^ MIC DM Hybrid Amp, Sonic Fountain (?) DAC, Cyrus 1DP and lots of CDs

R0010098.jpg

^ Rock taking a time out and catching up with Head-fi posts.

R0010099.jpg

^ David basking in sunlight and in sonic bliss of RS-1

R0010100.jpg

^ My beloved Woodies...

Overlunge

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 15
Cool lineup - Meridian & Cyrus sources, Stax O2, Senn HD-6x0, Qualia, ATOWoodies galore, RS-1s...definitely some top-tiers in there!

Now whazzup with those impressions...keep 'em coming guys, no meet without some follow-up on these boards!

The recent AT discussion has reopened my mind to all sorts of cans, especially, dare I say it, recabled HD-650!
eek.gif

M.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
What are the cans second from the right in the group photo, are they W2002's?

Spot on, gpalmer! From the left to right in the picture are: W10LTD, W100, W2002, and W1000. Unfortunatly, I was expecting a pair of W11R and maybe another Head-fier would bring a pair of L3000, but I guess they will have to wait.

I had a few surprises on the day [size=xx-small]Discounting Mother in Law rang up and chat for half an hour at the middle of the meet.[/size] were:

Cyrus 1DP, was a very small profile and musical CD player. The midrange was very very smooth out straight out of the player. Despite its old age, I feel they were a worth edition to Rock's previous (nearly) sourceless rig.

Also lenzman's home made amp were indeed impressive, I will have to let him to elaborate on the designs etc, but to me it sounds organic, with very airy and bouncy bass. Midrange were liquidy smooth with a bit of treble roll-off. It was almost analog sounding, like an Ack! dAck!.

David, you must come around and have a listen when the dAck! finally comes back.

It was most interesting to talk to David because he's got a significantly different pair of ears to mine. He pulled out some old school, but great DT311 and I must admit the sound was probably the flattest I have ever heard, very none intrusive kind. We also swap a few comments about the Woodies and as well as the finer point of Qualia fitting
tongue.gif

At the end of day, we end up chilling and listen to the Omega II and all of us agree was the best of the show with supreme musicality. But I strongly think the bass needs a bit of tweeking and maybe tuberolling would help immensely.

I need to stew on a few thoughts and might come up with some more impressions. Waiting for Rock to put up his photos and maybe an inside shot of his dual mono amp that drove the HD650 with flair and lots of juice to spare.

Overlunge

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
R0010100.jpg

^ My beloved Woodies...

Wow. What a meet. You could each have a woody at the same time!

Beautiful line-up and so neat.
tongue.gif
The pics from our SF meet show that we were not quite that organized or precisely arranged.
orphsmile.gif

Congrats on what sounds like a successful meet on a very busy saturday of Head-Fi meets around the world.
lambda.gif
lambda.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 15
nice picture of the woodies.
biggrin.gif

if you send that W10LTD over I'll take a better shot of the lineup for you.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Dang... first you're impressed by the woodie collection. Then you spot the Qualia 010. And then the Omega 2. And RS-1. And Meridian. And HA2002

That is a damn fine meet you've got there. Pure style. Pure substance. Quality and flash all at once.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 15
Ok, time to belatedly post some impressions...this session gave me a lot to think about.

The woodies were interesting - more restrained and controlled sound than I expected, especially from big "coconut shells" like that...and subtle differences between each model - real nice, it's not hard to see how you finished up with four of them
orphsmile.gif

The Audio Technica amp was described by overlunge as "a bit bling", I think, but the build standard and finish appears excellent. Visually and sonically, it's a good match for the woodies as you might expect - no rough edges.

The MIC DM Hybrid Amp amazed me - on first hearing it seems to break all the rules, but the overall impression it gives (with hd650s) is second to none. Listening to a couple of familiar discs, this amp gave a new insight.

The Stax gear is in a class of its own (of course!). Flat frequency response, smooth sound and impressive build quality.

Thanks to overlunge for organising the meeting. It was a perfect venue, the gear was impressive and the pizza was great. BTW, the photos are not badly taken at all...

I'll post some information on the DIY amp sometime soon. For now let's just say it has a lot in common with the Szekeres source-follower buffer circuit, but uses a lot less current and runs from a 500mA wallwart. It struggles a bit with HD650s (no surprise really) but it's intended for low-impedance stuff - below 100 ohms. It's intended to give an unrestricted frequency response, but at the meeting it had a transient/RF filter on the inputs, which may account for Overlunge's impression of top-end rolloff. The filter has now been removed as it didn't seem to offer any advantages with this circuit.

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Glad you made it, lenzman. I was hoping you to give a indepth insight into your project. But I guess that have to wait for another long weekend?
wink.gif

Overlunge

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Wow. What a meet. You could each have a woody at the same time!

and i bet they did.
evil_smiley.gif

you lucky @&$%s had almost every upper-tier headphone available there at the meet! (sans senns, perhaps?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back