choosing a microphone
Aug 15, 2004 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently signed up for an online course at school and they require a headset for chatting sessions. at first I was looking into senn pc150 @ 36shipped from amazon. But then I figured I been wearing my senn580s almost the entire time whenever I am sitting in front of my computer, even when I am not listening to music. I mean the 580s are so comfy that I dont feel like taking them off for something inferior sounding and (possibly) less ergonomic. Besides, if I were to get a microphone, might as well get something with more quality for the same amount of money.

The contenders so far are :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/53356/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/270342/

A better option would be something that comes with a tabletop stand, feel free to suggest me if you know of any
smily_headphones1.gif

EMU-1212M I am using has two 1/4 mono inputs for each channel, so would I need a y-cable to split the signal?

Aug 15, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 4
get yourself the headset... it's cheaper and you'll be happier using it.

both those mics are crap. your table-top stand will cost more than either mic--that's a little funny. you'll also need cables. the mic input on your soundcard probably is pretty crappy too, as it was never intended for serious use--so even if you got a good mic, it'll still be noisy as hell. dunno if you can even use that behringer mic--it's probably balanced, and your soundcard probably is not.

anyway, just get the headset and consider it textbook-cost.

EDIT: oops. you got an EMU. if it has mic inputs, i'm sure they're fine. but either way..... save yourself trouble and money and get the headset.

EDIT EDIT: nope. you need to connect the mics specifically into the mic input on your emu. if the emu is a breakout box, it should have an XLR input for mics. i dunno about that wireless system... it probably has built in amps, so that one you can connect to the 1/4" inputs. but normal mics will go into the XLR's.

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Since you don't have any preamps on your soundcard, you'd need an external preamp with normal micropones. Avoid the wireless stuff. Why don't you go for a USB mic? I've use a Logitech one, which I find very adequate for voice.

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 4
alright, thx for your inputs. these are the type of answers i was in need of. I will look into those logitech USB mics, got a link for good deal on them by any chance? headset is cool except everytime i need them i will have to rewire the whole thing (i am already splitting signal from the EMU1010 to a headphone amp and speakers, so there is quite bit of wiring mess to deal with).

EDIT : just ordered it from buy.com, lets hope they ship it out soon. lately buy.com has been getting tons of negative feedback for their slow shipping.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back