ChiUniFi 7.5 - November 2, 2013
Nov 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 26

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 26
If anyone is interested in attending the meetings of the Chicago Audio Society, the website is
http://chicagoaudio.org Ask to be put on the email list and you will get notified about upcoming meetings.:D

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 26
I had a great time too. Great to see a number of first time meet goers come out. Thanks for setting it up, Keith.

Oh and anyone who wants more info on cable making supplies or techniques or T50RP mods, just send me a PM. Happy to share what I know.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 26
Agreed, on the quality of gear and, more importantly, the quality of the folkses.  It is an honor to listen by your side.

The TH-900, either off the Mytek --> GSX mk2 or the PureDAC --> Raptor, is an amazing headphone.  Extended, clear, spacious, and musical, I think I was most surprised at its ability to resolve busy music and also produce lively dynamics in spite of its closed-back principle.  Recommended to anyone who has the dosh.

I was excited to see the PureDAC and was happy to realize it can become the basis of a digital system for great value, for its quality sound and its practicality.  It's great-looking and I love the completely independent controls (and circuits) between the preamp out and the headphone out.  The headphone outputs on the front (especially the balanced out) definitely work as a headphone amplifier, and make it easy to have a great Head-Fi function while also keeping a bigger rig plugged in through the line outs in the back.  However, the headphone out was not as good as the Raptor (fed by the PureDACs line outs, single-ended only).  It was less even, less spacious, less refined than the Raptor.  I think a slightly cheaper DAC and reasonably priced separate headphone amp make better sense if you are contemplating a longer-lasting purchase, but, if upgraditis is okay with you, the Raptor showed that relying on the headphone out is a (very good) temporary solution, until you get a dedicated amp, or otherwise a solution for those who primarily seek a great DAC for their stereo and for whom headphone listening is secondary.  The built-in headphone amp beats budget dedicated amps, but is easily outclassed again by other amps higher up the dollar ladder.

I also had a heck of a lot of fun with the Xonar Essence 1 plugged into the M-80s, cranking out heavy electro.  The experience was totally fun and sonically problem-free.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 26
It was great to meet everyone last week.

Things I learned:  Dubstep Girl listens at insane volumes (high), and Claritas listens at insane volumes (low)
biggrin.gif

Loved listening to the Audeze products side by side, this was my first real listen to any of them.  I got clear bass differences between the X and 3, but didn't have the time to determine much more than that.

I enjoyed the chance to listen to all the Schiit products side by side, would have liked to do more A\B ing, but even at a smaller event like this there was too much great stuff to listen to.   Specifically appreciated Keith's HiFiMan 400 on the  Magni \ Modi stack, has a great sound.

FraGGleR's modded stuff was great, but for me the World Famous Meet Cable System was the highlight of his rig. Props.

Listening to his Sennheiser Momentum's also convinced me that my choice of V-Moda 100s as my walking-around headphones was completely wrong, so the V-Modas will soon be up for sale and a pair of Momentum's on the way in.  (Anyone interested in the 100s please let me know).

The Smith Realizer was pretty amazing.  I'm not sure I agree if I'm philosophically aligned with the goal of making a pair of headphones sound like a room full of speakers (rather then maing them sound like a room full of live music, if you get the difference), but the realizer did a great job of making me think I was sitting in a full surround system.  If I can marry that output to surround-sound signal coming off a movie disc its definitely got a use in my house.

Dubstep's set up was amazing, and now I must buy a Fostex TH900 which sounded amazing on my Master 8.  I mean, favorite headphone of all time amazing. Sitting here I have no idea why I have not already ordered these, and I will be doing so very soon.

On the Master 8 v. GS-X Mk II shoot out, I'm calling it for the Master 8, for the following three reasons:

1) Dubstep was able to articulate the differences between the amps, but only after back-and-forthing and about 20 minutes.  I believe the comment on first hearing it was actually along the lines of "OMG, I can't tell the difference!"

2) At less than 2K$ (actually much less) v. 3K$, its a no brainer. 

3) I own the Master 8, and love the one your with.
biggrin.gif

Again, very good to meet everyone.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 26
  It was great to meet everyone last week.

Things I learned:  Dubstep Girl listens at insane volumes (high), and Claritas listens at insane volumes (low)
biggrin.gif

I can confirm both.
k701smile.gif
 Ah, I had such a pleasant time meeting you all.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #22 of 26
A couple of people at the meet asked about my faux Pelican cases for multiple headphones:

These are great for hauling around multiple phones, or a phone + AMP\DAC combo. They are NOT Pelican-armor quality but they are satisfactory and cost ~ $12 at Amazon.  I own 4.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protector-Four-Pistol-Case/dp/B000P3WPKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383992542&sr=8-1&keywords=Plano+Protector+Four+Pistol+Case

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 26

On the Master 8 v. GS-X Mk II shoot out, I'm calling it for the Master 8, for the following three reasons:

1) Dubstep was able to articulate the differences between the amps, but only after back-and-forthing and about 20 minutes.  I believe the comment on first hearing it was actually along the lines of "OMG, I can't tell the difference!"

2) At less than 2K$ (actually much less) v. 3K$, its a no brainer.

3) I own the Master 8, and love the one your with.
biggrin.gif

I've been suggesting this for months now-to little avail. I suppose Kevin Gilmore's comments regarding the M8 design should have perked a few more ears-although I'm sure the GSX's aesthetics cannot be denied in comparison. I wonder if the somewhat brighter sounding M8 (according to DG) is just the more neutral 'dead nuts neutral' sound of the AGD, as the Mytek is said by some to be somewhat piercing in the highs. Keep in mind the Master 9 is now available, and Kingwa has stated that it is slightly better in the lower registers. Now I'm even more eager to hear the Ragnarok, and how that will compare to the M8/9.

Sounds like you guys all had a great time-I just wish I could find more in depth PureDac impressions, as that's what led me here. :wink:

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back