Chinese Lehmann Black Cube - HEF188
Aug 7, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 19
All very interesting,
I am about to finish modding the original Lehmann Black Cube and think that Norbert´s original design with the mains Tx well away from all circuitry was/is far superior.

I did´nt know that Lehmann was using the excellant Philips LL PH PSU caps in later models. I now use these in preference to BGs and the price differential has nothing to do with it.

I have removed all the so-so Jamicon and Wima caps - just changing the Wima 2.2uF/63V for ERSE 2.2uF/250V was a huge improvement.

Pity I don´t know anyone locally with the latest version to pitch against my modded Mk1. I have only to change the ICs but don´t expect a big uplift in sound - it is stunningly good as is and blessedly, totally hum free - I´m really not aware I´m listening to SS rather tube.

Quite agree about illegal clones but from experience I wonder why Norbert persists in using Wima and other caps. OK he provides employment for fellow Germans rather than shifting production to sweat shop countries - in no way do I question his designs or layout, they are both excellant but the components, that´s another story.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Well, what can I say? The LED on my Chinese Lehmann just burn out
frown.gif

Now I am not sure it is on / off :O

Next time if I want something I will look for a more reputable brand. If I can not afford it I will look around for a second hand option.

Thanks for all the replies.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 19
Good evening folks,

I just was pointed to this thread by Jan Meier. Thank you dear fellow for this. I already have been informed about this illegal copy many weeks ago and was first thrilled by the pictures which - at first glance - look like the real thing. Then I decided not to waste my own money on a useless issue after having contaced the German Chamber of Commerce in China.

No, it is not a real problem to copy a board layout and try to make the unit look like the original. But when you look closer you that see several things have been replaced by chaeper parts and most of you would use the word crap here.

So there is indeed a reason why some things are exactly like they are in the original unit. Not even my Chinese distributor was worried about these copies when I informed him. He stated that those audiophile listeners who are aiming for the real thing will go for them and not take a rotten pear for an apple.

So have a nice rest of the evening. Show some regret for those who have been deceived so badly and then go out and buy originals no matter from which company. There are enough good products out there from real audio enthusiasts based in many countries. This and nothing else will keep you inside this beautiful hobby of listening to music :)

Kind regards from Germany

Norbert

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #19 of 19
Good evening folks,

I just was pointed to this thread by Jan Meier. Thank you dear fellow for this. I already have been informed about this illegal copy many weeks ago and was first thrilled by the pictures which - at first glance - look like the real thing. Then I decided not to waste my own money on a useless issue after having contaced the German Chamber of Commerce in China.

No, it is not a real problem to copy a board layout and try to make the unit look like the original. But when you look closer you that see several things have been replaced by chaeper parts and most of you would use the word crap here.

So there is indeed a reason why some things are exactly like they are in the original unit. Not even my Chinese distributor was worried about these copies when I informed him. He stated that those audiophile listeners who are aiming for the real thing will go for them and not take a rotten pear for an apple.

So have a nice rest of the evening. Show some regret for those who have been deceived so badly and then go out and buy originals no matter from which company. There are enough good products out there from real audio enthusiasts based in many countries. This and nothing else will keep you inside this beautiful hobby of listening to music :)

Kind regards from Germany

Norbert
I've got the genuine BCL and it plays the Susvara beautifully on high gain with a heap of headroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back