Chicolom's Off-Topic PC Build Discussion
Feb 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #61 of 70
I think Chico meant getting to 4.8 would require more voltage than his cooler could handle. This is true as even though its a great cooler, it doesn't dissipate enough heat to keep the CPU under the 80-90s range at 1.35v+ I believe it would require.

Regardless, 4.5 is great and more than enough for gaming any day of the week. The difference between 4.5 and 4.8 might not even net you any fps gains in certain games. Depending if its CPU dependant or not.

But Sal you are correct, this is why I tend to stay away from auto OC. The voltages are preset to be safe. Asus says their implementation is actually measuring voltages to set it correctly but I highly doubt it. It probably still uses a predifined table.

Ya so start turning down the voltage and see if you can pass prime95 stress for a few hours or even a day if your really paranoid.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #62 of 70
i5 3570K @ 4.8 GHz w/ 1.25 V is perfectly doable (aftermarket cooler). I'm sure chico's chip is just as good.

Some games these days though seem to push CPU multicore performance as much (if not more in some cases) than GPU performance. Bloody consoles.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #63 of 70
Ivy bridge is a completely different animal to haswell. With the introduction of the voltage regulation on the chip itself, who knows how that would affect the voltage needed. And of course with CPU binning, hard to predict.

Console ports pushing CPU performance , definitely. Multicore performance, not so much.

The worst console port offenders typically barely use a second core/thread. That's why CPU speed becomes more relevant than how many cores. Better single thread performance is best for ****ty console ports. This is due to offloading gpu effects to the CPU like consoles do, instead of recoding it for proper performance.

The best actually PC developed games use 4+ cores. BF4 and crysis 3 are two of the best for this.

I am hoping with the next slew of next gen games, we get good ports that use more than 2 cores.

If you guys ever want a decent non biased performance analysis of PC games, head over to dsogaming.com. great articles, terrible readers with stupid fanboy comments.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #64 of 70
I think Chico meant getting to 4.8 would require more voltage than his cooler could handle. This is true as even though its a great cooler, it doesn't dissipate enough heat to keep the CPU under the 80-90s range at 1.35v+ I believe it would require.

Correct. ^

i5 3570K @ 4.8 GHz w/ 1.25 V is perfectly doable (aftermarket cooler). I'm sure chico's chip is just as good.

Ivy bridge is a completely different animal to haswell. With the introduction of the voltage regulation on the chip itself, who knows how that would affect the voltage needed. And of course with CPU binning, hard to predict.

Yeah, Haswell is quite different than Ivy Bridge when it comes to overclocking.  Haswell get's hotter and what not.

One question: I know how to manually set the voltage in the BIOS to do your stress tests, but I'm confused what to set it too after your done testing and want it to throttle back down.  I've read "adaptive" is the best setting, but I don't see any options for typing in a voltage with that...

Nevermind, found it.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #65 of 70
LOL yeah.. I am behind the times... will have a look at Haswell to acquaint myself with it
smile.gif

chico, was it under 'manual' as opposed to adaptive?

*Edit* I didn't realise they'd released a new AI Suite v3. This looks really good with far far more control (that's if you want to install it). It's not available on older boards like mine, but I'm sure you could do the same... OC with it, save the settings in BIOS and uninstall. Huge cooler on that thing.

@DJ ... the bearded one just for you :)))))

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #66 of 70
They must have a pretty amazing chip, because mine crashes at 4.6 ghz running the same test, not 4.9.  Really the best I can do so far is 1-2 cores at 4.5ghz and 4 cores at 4.4ghz @ 1.25 volts :\ 

I've tried both manually in the BIOS and letting the AI suite do it automatically but its basically the same result.  I'll try again later, but I just couldn't get it stable at all cores at 4.5 - 4.6ghz unless I go to 1.3+ volts, (and I believe that pushes closer to 80 C on air cooling).  Oh well.  I'm not complaining as it's still ridiculously fast compared to what I'm used to. 
tongue.gif

To set the adaptive voltage manually in the BIOS you had to open the pull down and then click to set it to Adaptive twice before it would show up the "Additional turbo frequency" box to type in your max voltage. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #67 of 70
What is your load line calibration like in your bios? That will ensure your voltage doesn't drop on load like it always does.

It may also be called vdroop? Not sure. Every bios maker calls it something different.

@Sal... Really?

You sob!!!! Just when I thought I was rid of him. Ughh gawd. Ya he got a lot of flak for his Asus videos because he started promoting their products exclusively after. Free Asus stuff anyone lol. Now its mayflower.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #68 of 70
Just replayed through Portal 1 and then went and played through Portal 2 for the first time.  Great games, and I wasn't expecting such a jump in graphics between the two.  A lot more graphical eye candy in the second one, and better audio too.

Makes me excited for the next source engine and....dare I say...HL3? 
ph34r.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #69 of 70
What is your load line calibration like in your bios? That will ensure your voltage doesn't drop on load like it always does.

It may also be called vdroop? Not sure. Every bios maker calls it something different.

@Sal... Really?

You sob!!!! Just when I thought I was rid of him. Ughh gawd. Ya he got a lot of flak for his Asus videos because he started promoting their products exclusively after. Free Asus stuff anyone lol. Now its mayflower.

Load Line calibration is set to "Auto" in the BIOS, but in AI suite shows it's set to 8 (the max, 100%).

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #70 of 70
@Sal... Really?

Sorry DJ.. I feel really bad now. Wipe the image (the badly applied beard) from your mind. It may take a strobe lamp and a lot of extra strength anti-depressants,  but you'll get there. Maybe...........

@chico..... seeing as I'm a previous generation user I can't comment. Maybe a couple of reboots may synch the values?? The BIOS settings I'd trust more as they are the exact settings it's working off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back