Chet Atkins: Gone but not forgotten.
Jul 2, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm not familiar with Mr. Atkins' work but it sucks to lose any musician you enjoy. Some of the Dire Straits fans out here might be interested in his cd that he collaborated on with Mark Knopfler.

Jul 2, 2001 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 8
Zobo, (can I call you Zobo?)

Neck and Neck is the album you are thinking of. Chet had a way of pulling different talent out of the guitarists he worked with (showing how broad they're talent really was). Chet also recorded a few of Knopfler's tunes (Why Worry comes to mind) on some of his solo projects.

Besides Knopfler, other Chet protégé’s include:

Jerry Reed
Roy Clark
Earl Klugh
and several more.

He was also friends with Les Paul (look for Chester and Lester), recorded with the Elvis, the Statler Brothers, and the Boston Pops to just scratch the surface.

Jul 3, 2001 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Audio Redneck, Zobo is fine
smily_headphones1.gif
. No foolin about the Boston Pops eh? mbriant, it almost scares me to know that country music influenced the Beatles (just kidding).

"We have both kinds of music, Country AND Western."
- The Blues Brothers.

Jul 3, 2001 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 8
No foolin'. A lot of folks don't realize the amount of cross over that goes on with "country" artists and the other way around. Some examples are:

COMMON THREAD: THE SONGS OF THE EAGLES - Country music stars singing some of the Eagles greatest hits (and if your into C&W these days, you are liable to see some of the Eagles helping out in the sessions.

AMERICA SALUTES THE BEATLES: Atkins, Keaggy, and several other American guitarists and singers doing the Beatles tunes.

Unlikely Du-o's
Ricky Skaggs(country and bluegrass) and Elvis Costelo - Ricky and ElvisC are buddy's and ElvisC appeared on Ricky's live show from the Rhymin(?) Auditorium in Nashville on TNN (they had some REALLY great shows before CBS bought it out and turned it into Dukes of Hazard Reruns, Roller Derby, and More Wrestling)

Garth Brooks and Billy Joel - NY Concert. (I'm no fan of Garth, just making a point)

I could fill the page, but you get the idea. Just like rock/pop/whatever, most of the best stuff never gets put on the air, because it doesn't have the broad (how many bucks can we get from the public) appeal the record companys want.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Zobo, (can I call you Zobo?)

Neck and Neck is the album you are thinking of. Chet had a way of pulling different talent out of the guitarists he worked with (showing how broad they're talent really was). Chet also recorded a few of Knopfler's tunes (Why Worry comes to mind) on some of his solo projects.

Besides Knopfler, other Chet protégé’s include:

Jerry Reed
Roy Clark
Earl Klugh
and several more.

He was also friends with Les Paul (look for Chester and Lester), recorded with the Elvis, the Statler Brothers, and the Boston Pops to just scratch the surface.
George Harrison copied Atkins style on early
Beatles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back