Cheapie DVD player recs?
Jul 29, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 23
Now, would component video be worth it if the TV has no s-video (reciever has the component inputs) and the TV has some horrible contrast problems?

Jul 29, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

chych said...

Now, would component video be worth it if the TV has no s-video (reciever has the component inputs) and the TV has some horrible contrast problems?

Eh? Hold up a minute... You're saying the TV has no s-video input and no component input? But the receiver does? What receiver is this, most receivers don't have component input. Sure you're not talking about composite? Besides, if the TV doesn't have component input or s-video input, then you can't use it. From your description, it sounds like the TV only has composite input (the worst). Maybe you should get a new TV.

And I checked on the progressive stuff. Progressive scan dvd players only work w/ HDTVs.

Jul 29, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 23
Err hmm...

My reciever has 5.1 inputs, so nevermind
smily_headphones1.gif
(I guess this is for if you have an external DAC or something... its an Onkyo 575x)

And you are wrong, my TV doesn't have composite inputs.

Even worse.

RF inputs! (I have a composite to RF switcher so my reciever connects to the TV)

Ughhhh lets see what I need now...
-New TV
-New headphones
-DVDp
-money, and lots of it

Jul 29, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 23
If I'm not mistaken, progressive scan displays video at full resolution without the use of interlacing techniques. So it's "progressive" instead of "interlaced," never skipping a precious line of video.

I hope that helps anyone who was interested. Oh, and I also think progressive scan requires a special input (not component) only found on those new digital TVs.

Jul 29, 2001 at 4:45 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

chych said...

RF inputs! (I have a composite to RF switcher so my reciever connects to the TV)

eek.gif
And you were going to hook a DVD player up to this? "shudder"
mad.gif

Yeah, your #1 priority is to get a TV w/ at least S-Video input, preferably component input. Oh, and royboy2k is correct. If you want to get a progressive-scan dvd player, you'd better also get a hdtv.

Jul 31, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 23
There are a lot of receivers now that have COMPONENT video switching, most of them are in the $500+ range, but I was at Circuit City looking at a Pioneer one that I think was under $400 that had component video switching, I was very amazed by that. I want to get a Sony Wega TV and my Pioneer Elite THX DVD player has component outs on it, and it would be nice to have the receiver take care of everything.

Aug 1, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #22 of 23
I would still hook up the dvd player directly to the tv instead of going through the receiver. Try it both ways, but I'm sure you will see a cleaner pic if you run the dvd straight to the TV. (via the component video input)

Aug 1, 2001 at 2:35 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

bootman said...

I would still hook up the dvd player directly to the tv instead of going through the receiver. Try it both ways, but I'm sure you will see a cleaner pic if you run the dvd straight to the TV. (via the component video input)

Agreed, not to mention if you used the receiver's component input, that's one more expensive cable you have to buy.

And I just got a Sony Wega 27'' today, yea!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back