Cheapest way to get a good signal to an ART DI/O?
Aug 4, 2003 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
What's the cheapest way to get a clean digital signal to an ART DI/O? PCI or USB (no cheap Firewire options as far as I know), though I slightly prefer USB. Have an Audiophile USB, but its drivers seem to be having problems with my Unix sound apps (XMMS through X11 and VLC) on my Mac (OSX based progs are fine). Don't know if this will impact all of M-Audio's offerings? My Xitel HIFI worked fine with them (though no digital out).

What would you guys recommend to expressly to get the signal to the ART (no other outputs are necessary)?

Aug 4, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm using the M-audio Sonica USB/Toslink Optical output to a Cal Audio Sigma II tube DAC (with MG Head OTL Mk2). As you know I usea a Mac too. Works great!

If I had an Art I'd likely get a Revo myself. I have not heard of it having problems on a Mac. I know someone might have said the AP 24/96 has a better digital output, which I would think would be subtle at best, but you said you have some problems with the software in your scenario. Other than that I'd look at the Xitel HIFI Pro model. For $80 you get a lot of cables with it and it has Toslink out too. With the Revo you don't get Toslink but it has a supposedly very good quality analog output if you ever wanted it and then 5.1 out if you ever needed that.

It could come down to the question of how USB digital output compares to a PCI digital output, as you eluded to. To me there seems to be positives and negatives each way but I have a hunch either would be VERY close in the end! By the way if you just want to get digital to your Art I think the Audiophile USB would be overkill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back