Cheaper Alternatives to Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear
Nov 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Brickmaster7398

New Head-Fier
So I was thinking of buying the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear but my parents won't let me spend my money on it because they feel it's a waste of money. They don't hear the difference in higher quality audio and wont let me "waste" my money on a "useless" purchase. I was wondering if there are similarly sounding headphones (Over-Ear or In-Ear) in the $50 to $100 range, though cheaper would be better. Obviously, it won't be quite the same, but I need better audio, as my cheap IEMs aren't cutting it anymore. Or how about ideas to get them to change their minds? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Edit: I should add that I like a balanced sound that is still somewhat fun to listen to. Would the Shure SE215 fit the bill? 

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 7
As a parent of college-age kids, I will say: Go study! Stop wasting your time on that stupid headphone forum!! :p

That's a hard question - I think what you are really looking for is a closed, comfortable, slightly warm, but neutral headphone that is within your price range. I would have said the Logitech UE6000, but Logitech has lost their minds and discontinued it. How about the Takstar Hi2040 or the NVX XPT100? I have not heard these - from what I have read, I don't think they are as neutral as the Momentum, but it sounds like they are "not neutral" in a pleasant way. :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 7
As a parent of college-age kids, I will say: Go study! Stop wasting your time on that stupid headphone forum!!
tongue.gif

That's a hard question - I think what you are really looking for is a closed, comfortable, slightly warm, but neutral headphone that is within your price range. I would have said the Logitech UE6000, but Logitech has lost their minds and discontinued it. How about the Takstar Hi2040 or the NVX XPT100? I have not heard these - from what I have read, I don't think they are as neutral as the Momentum, but it sounds like they are "not neutral" in a pleasant way.
smily_headphones1.gif

That is exactly the sound I'm looking for. It looks like I can still buy the UE6000 off Amazon. Should I just go for that?

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 7
That is exactly the sound I'm looking for. It looks like I can still buy the UE6000 off Amazon. Should I just go for that?

Yes you should. Lots of value for your money with the UE6000. With the noise cancelling off, they sound close to the Momentum(the senns are a little more balanced) and with the noise cancelling activated they sound like....Beats(i dont think this is a bad thing).

Takstar Pro80 and Creative Aurvana Live have a similar warm sound, but the UE6000 comfort and portability and features make it a better value IMO

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Depends on where you want to use the haedphones. 

If in the street, go for the in ear Shure. Otherwise, Logitech and Creative Aurvana Live 2 are good options. I owned the second one and the sound is very nice and clear.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 7
The sennheiser momentums over-ear were recently $150-$200 during this weekend. perhaps you can find it at that deal price & find an extra $50.

otherwise, in the sub-$100 range, your choices are pretty limited. ue6000 would be my recommendation for that price range as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back