Cheap 3-5w tube guitar amp design
Apr 29, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 24
OK, laid this out on perf board (well the parts that I have onhand) just to have a look. This is the version with the "scrap parts'. I have about $30 total with a cheap 5" test speaker (4 ohm).

Now, should I lay this out on a steel or aluminum base, or will perf 'work'? I actually need to trim about an inch of width to fit it in the case but it lays out pretty well.

May 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 24
Well, I got quite an assist with some vintage parts, so I just have to move the passive components to the strip board, solder them up, then wire the connections. 

May 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #20 of 24
Hi pabbi,
I think with so simple schematic you don't need pref board at all.
You have both tube sockets installed, add input jack and pots to your chassis, then secure 3 power caps somehow and choice one screw for star ground. Than simple go with other parts point to point by schematic.

May 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 24
Leo Fender thought the strip terminals were a good idea, especially since we are talking 330v, so hard to argue with. If it was 30v, maybe, but safety first. Besides, this is more old school, in keeping with a 62 year old design. It is rare we build circuits older than we are, which is way harder for some of us than we would care to admit.

Besides, I have always been facinated about building something on a terminal strip with the turrets.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #22 of 24
Hey Pabbi1,

I was wondering how this turned out?  I am wanting to build a super small Champ clone myself.  Any advice on how to source the parts cheaply?  There is also a Micro Champ out there I thought of as well.

-Mark

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #23 of 24
Funny you should mention this - having to get some assistance, as I am out of my depth... but, here is where I am, though I did pick up a 1950's Jenson alnico speaker to swap out once I get 'er working.

Note: This amp is NOT UL listed...

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 24
I may be building a Champ as well for a friend of mine.  
rolleyes.gif

Looks great Al!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back