Channel Imbalance in LP
Feb 1, 2006 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
I've notice for the longest time that when playing LPs (various) most of the music seems to be focus on the left meaning I hear the singer, drums and others visualise on the left of the stage. There is sound coming from the right speaker like guitar or misc instruments but never the voice and main instruments. It seems like an imbalance and when I compare using channel balance I find the right channel tad softer then the left. This worries me as the newer LPs also has this problem. I did a comparison on the cd setup and the singer/ band is in the centre of the stage from the few cds I've checked out so I'm sure somethings off with my LP setup. My amps not at fault as I've used 2 amps and they exhibit the same problem.

In any case, do you think I should suspect the;

a) phono stage (Clear Audio Basic)
b) Goldring 1.2 (I suppose the catridge, though its connection is not loose)

I have nothing else to compare with and will have to haul my gear back to both dealers (bought phonostage and turntable separately and on different sides of town!) to have it checked out
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 4
My guess is it's most likely the cartridge. I've had channel imbalance issues myself in the past... re-check alignment and such. This can be a difficult problem to correct, particularly since the cartridge could be defective.

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I've notice for the longest time that when playing LPs (various) most of the music seems to be focus on the left meaning I hear the singer, drums and others visualise on the left of the stage. There is sound coming from the right speaker like guitar or misc instruments but never the voice and main instruments. It seems like an imbalance and when I compare using channel balance I find the right channel tad softer then the left. This worries me as the newer LPs also has this problem. I did a comparison on the cd setup and the singer/ band is in the centre of the stage from the few cds I've checked out so I'm sure somethings off with my LP setup. My amps not at fault as I've used 2 amps and they exhibit the same problem.

In any case, do you think I should suspect the;

a) phono stage (Clear Audio Basic)
b) Goldring 1.2 (I suppose the catridge, though its connection is not loose)

I have nothing else to compare with and will have to haul my gear back to both dealers (bought phonostage and turntable separately and on different sides of town!) to have it checked out
frown.gif

Swap the cables that come from your turntable to your phono stage.
If the imbalance changes sides, then there is something wrong with the cart or the set up.
Channel imbalance is usually due to azmuth being off. Look at your cart head on. Is it sitting straight up and down or is it rotated to one side?
Here is a nice page on setting up your table, chack out the part on azimuth, step 6.

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 4
I suspect it is the catridge. Changed to Goldring Elite MC and the problem is gone. I have yet much to learned about alignment and all things vinyl
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway the stylus is a bit damaged thanks to my itchy fingers so the Elektra's can't be used anyway. Thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back