changing tubes out of a SRM-T1S
Apr 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 9
On the other hand, it's really easy. Remove the top of the case and gently pull the tubes out while swinging them round a bit. Do not twist, only pull. When they are out, put in new ones. They only fit in one way. So, it's as simple as pulling the old ones out and pushing the new ones in.
The amp will then work fine again. While it's better to rebias it after a tube change, you're not damaging the amp nor the headphones by not doing that. The simple procedure for that is in the thread padam linked to. You will need a volt meter.

I think it depends on the shop whether they can do it themselves. I'm sure they can plug in new tubes, but I doubt that they know how to rebias it. Maybe they don't even know that can be done. I know of someone who needed new tubes for a SRM-T1 and the shop sent the amp to a Stax service center for that. He had to miss the amp for a two or three weeks. If that's the case, you're better off doing it yourself.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends on the shop whether they can do it themselves.

A shop that cant rebias a tube does not really deserve to be in buisness.
Quote:

I'm sure they can plug in new tubes, but I doubt that they know how to rebias it. Maybe they don't even know that can be done.

Thats what the link padam posted is for, right?

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A shop that cant rebias a tube does not really deserve to be in buisness.

QTF. It's really quite easy to do, but I remember the time when I actually electrocuted myself doing so and got a few electrical burn scars too
redface.gif
Yeah. Embarassing. Still, it hasn't put me off. I was just being stupid
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

A shop that cant rebias a tube does not really deserve to be in business.

Yes, I agree, but that doesn't mean there are no such shops.
Quote:

Thats what the link padam posted is for, right?

That's right. There are also instructions for the rebiasing of a SRM-007t in that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back