Changing op amps , or coupling caps in DAC?
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nkam

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone here have success in changing op amps in their DACs?

i want to slightly mod the sound in one of my DACs since it is too smooth and doesnt have enough weight to instruments.

is this possible to do swapping op amps or caps in a DAC?

thanks in advance

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 15
Anyone here have success in changing op amps in their DACs?

i want to slightly mod the sound in one of my DACs since it is too smooth and doesnt have enough weight to instruments.

is this possible to do swapping op amps or caps in a DAC?

thanks in advance
Depends on build if they are in sockets it would be easy but surface mount would be difficult with a high damage probability

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 15
do the op amps make that much of a difference ?
i think they make a great difference on a somewhat revealing system

if you try opamps you should also give coupling caps from V- to V+ of the opamp a go, i had very good results with Nichicon KZ 10uf-100uf, it basicly improved all opamps i tried

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 15
How about piggy backing some coupling caps on a DAC to open up the sound more?
what exactly you mean? the coupling caps im talking about improve the power supply rails of the opamp itself, you have to fit them inside or as with my aune X8 the coupling caps go "outside" with the opamp

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 15
How about piggy backing some
what exactly you mean? the coupling caps im talking about improve the power supply rails of the opamp itself, you have to fit them inside or as with my aune X8 the coupling caps go "outside" with the opamp

Could you help me in choosing which caps in the analog output stage of this DAC to bypass to try and open up the sound more?
The op amp used is the OPA1612 and below is the data sheet with suggestions for an analog output stage.
could you show me in the pics of the analog output stage of the DAC which caps around the op amps to try and bypass to open up the sound please ? I would super appreciate it.
its the topping D30 pro

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/o...=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FOPA1612

Attachments

• B3F4AB7B-89C3-4147-9458-93B0CFEB4DF3.jpeg
    B3F4AB7B-89C3-4147-9458-93B0CFEB4DF3.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 29731C10-8AD0-442C-A658-0ECF134A04BB.png
    29731C10-8AD0-442C-A658-0ECF134A04BB.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 15
Could you help me in choosing which caps in the analog output stage of this DAC to bypass to try and open up the sound more?
The op amp used is the OPA1612 and below is the data sheet with suggestions for an analog output stage.
could you show me in the pics of the analog output stage of the DAC which caps around the op amps to try and bypass to open up the sound please ? I would super appreciate it.
its the topping D30 pro

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/o...=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FOPA1612
well the coupling caps i mean are normally easy to integrate but not so easy with the wson package size of the opamps your dac is using

this is what it looks like in my modded topping d10:
you can see the caps i put "on top" of the opamp, also there is a dip8 adapter with the greenish cap on it where a swapaple opamp sits on top (which is missing in the pic)
here for reference: https://www.bursonaudio.com/burson-ss-opamp-101-part-1-mkp-cap-tweak/

Attachments

• 20230330_124646.jpg
    20230330_124646.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 15
I think I can get around the small size

are there any caps around the op amps you can circle for me to piggyback as to bypass please?

much obliged
well the coupling caps i mean are normally easy to integrate but not so easy with the wson package size of the opamps your dac is using

this is what it looks like in my modded topping d10:
you can see the caps i put "on top" of the opamp, also there is a dip8 adapter with the greenish cap on it where a swapaple opamp sits on top (which is missing in the pic)
here for reference: https://www.bursonaudio.com/burson-ss-opamp-101-part-1-mkp-cap-tweak

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 15
I think I can get around the small size

are there any caps around the op amps you can circle for me to piggyback as to bypass please?

much obliged
ah i missed the dip8 pads! so its probably easy, just solder the cap to the correspond pads (shown on the burson site)
its better to be as close as possible to the opamp, so just use the dip8 pads around the opamps

minus is the left bottom pad and plus is on the right top pad in the circles you made (if those are DUAL opamps, im 90% certain they are)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 15
yeah but besides modding the op amp.
can you circle any of the coupling caps around the op amp I can try and bypass by piggybacking another cap on too?
ah i missed the dip8 pads! so its probably easy, just solder the cap to the correspond pads (shown on the burson site)
its better to be as close as possible to the opamp, so just use the dip8 pads around the opamps

minus is the left bottom pad and plus is on the right top pad in the circles you made (if those are DUAL opamps, im 90% certain they are)

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 15
can you circle any of the coupling caps around the op amp I can try and bypass by piggybacking another cap on top?

Attachments

• D477F42E-191B-4073-85DD-6080665BDBC6.jpeg
    D477F42E-191B-4073-85DD-6080665BDBC6.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 15
i suggest going with
can you circle any of the coupling caps around the op amp I can try and bypass by piggybacking another cap on top?
most probably there is no need for that, there are most probably 0,1uF caps from V- to ground and V+ to ground (on the pic it looks like the small cap straight up and down from the left bottom and right top pad, tho im not 100% sure and its hard to tell without schematic) and 0,1uF is fine for bypassing, you kinda dont wanna increase the capsize on those i think

the cap im suggesting mostly just acts as a "power buffer" so the opamp gets more stable power rails, if you can sizewise go with 47uF instead of 10uF i did, 47uF will smooth things out further and has better bass response imo

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 15
what i still need to try but this also gets suggested on the burson site is actually using a 47uf + 0,001 to 0,1uF cap in parallel between V- and V+

i guess you could also try to piggyback a 0,001uF to 0,1uF MKP cap on the already existing 0,1uF bypass caps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back