Changing email interval for multiple subscriptions
May 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone know of a way to change the 'email interval' setting for multiple subscriptions concurrently.

I'd like to stop email delivery for my subscriptions.  However, it seems that it's possible to do so with one subscription at a time, even though I'm able to select all of them.  It's just that I can't seem to apply a setting to all the subscriptions, even though I can select all of them.

May 10, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Anyone know of a way to change the 'email interval' setting for multiple subscriptions concurrently.

I'd like to stop email delivery for my subscriptions.  However, it seems that it's possible to do so with one subscription at a time, even though I'm able to select all of them.  It's just that I can't seem to apply a setting to all the subscriptions, even though I can select all of them.

Go to "my profile" and click "edit account details".  Part way down the page you'll see "Email Preferences" and you can set them all to behave a certain way there.

The problem I had at first was that I would get a copy of every single post made to any thread to which I was subscribed, and not just one notification per thread that had been updated.  I changed it to "daily digest" and never got one sent to me.  So I changed it back to individual immediate emails, but now I'm only being notified 4-5 x a day of threads being updated when 40 have been updated, but I'm notified most of the time about a new PM.

May 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Go to "my profile" and click "edit account details".  Part way down the page you'll see "Email Preferences" and you can set them all to behave a certain way there.

The problem I had at first was that I would get a copy of every single post made to any thread to which I was subscribed, and not just one notification per thread that had been updated.  I changed it to "daily digest" and never got one sent to me.  So I changed it back to individual immediate emails, but now I'm only being notified 4-5 x a day of threads being updated when 40 have been updated, but I'm notified most of the time about a new PM.

The setting you mentioned sets the email interval for future subscriptions.  Not your already existing subscriptions and email interval settings.  I had tried it already.

May 26, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:

I liked receiving on my email the daily listing of all new posts to my subscription threads - only receiving the last post now. The emails actually kept me more interested in each thread and led to more time online - I now find I am losing track of some of the subscriptions.

May 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 13
I stopped all the daily digests a while back.  The behavior goes back and forth for me.  One day I will only get notified once that a thread has changed, until I read the thread and if it changes I'll get notified once more.  

But on another day (like yesterday) I will get a copy of every single post in all the subscribed threads - so I might have 100+ emails when I check at about 11AM, and 5-6 are for one thread and 4-5 for another, or 2-3 for another, and so on, where I should have only had 20-30 emails for the 20-30 updated threads.

This is bizarre to me that it doesn't behave the same way each day.

May 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Visiting the homepage for the site while logged in, I get a list of all recently active threads that I'm subscribed to.  The link for each of these threads will take me to the first unread message for the thread.  With this neat facility, I've since disabled all email notifications.  I just check the site intermittently for thread activity.  Works very well for me.

May 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Visiting the homepage for the site while logged in, I get a list of all recently active threads that I'm subscribed to.  The link for each of these threads will take me to the first unread message for the thread.  With this neat facility, I've since disabled all email notifications.  I just check the site intermittently for thread activity.  Works very well for me.

Thanks for this it certainly helps - I still miss the old emails as I could read them quickly while I was at work, and spend more time looking at new threads when I came online. It would be useful if the subscriptions shown on the homepage could be sorted by notification type - instant, followed by daily, followed by weekly and then site only- that way the topics of greatest interest would be at the top.

May 31, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 13
I get a daily reminder of all my subscriptions and I would like this turned off.  I don't need an email every day, nor do I want it.  I have everything turned off as far as I can tell.  How do I get all emails from this site turned off.   I find it very intrusive, with no clear way to shut it off.  I would simply block it, but I would like to be notified if I get a PM.

May 31, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I get a daily reminder of all my subscriptions and I would like this turned off.  I don't need an email every day, nor do I want it.  I have everything turned off as far as I can tell.  How do I get all emails from this site turned off.   I find it very intrusive, with no clear way to shut it off.  I would simply block it, but I would like to be notified if I get a PM.

It's very unlikely that you don't have all your subscriptions set to no mail.

Do the following:

- Open your Profile page
- Hit the 'edit account details' link
- Set subscriptions to 'site only'.  Note that this will be the default subscription option for future subscriptions and not for existing subscriptions.
- enable "Send PMs and BBPosts via Emai"

- Now Hit the 'Edit Subscriptions' link
You should be taken to a page that lists all your subscriptions.  Note that there's a drop down menu to adjust notification options for EACH subscription.  If you wish to make mass changes, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the list.
- Choose 'Select all' from the menu to the left.  Then to the right, select 'Site Only'.  Then hit go.  Note again, that 'select all' will select only the subscriptions listed on the page, not the ones on other pages.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 13
I have subscriptions to 2 forums, both set to Weekly Digest, yet I get an email every day, with this pattern of subjects:

Head-Fi.org updates for 07-08-10 through 07-15-10

Head-Fi.org updates for 07-09-10 through 07-16-10
Head-Fi.org updates for 07-10-10 through 07-17-10
Head-Fi.org updates for 07-11-10 through 07-18-10
Head-Fi.org updates for 07-12-10 through 07-19-10

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Heck, with immediate notifications, most of the time I get an email for every single post in those threads.  So I might get 120 emails in 12 hours of being offline, for only 20-30 updated threads.  Occasionally it gets better, like today, and I don't get repeated notifications about each thread every time it updates.  But it doesn't stay fixed for long and soon I expect that will start getting notified with an email copy of every post again.  I hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back