Cello Music
Apr 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #31 of 44
I've been listening to Mischa Maisky's performances of Bach's cello Suites on youtube, and I'd love to find some of his recordings that arn't 30 bucks for a cd. Anything here in the states?

edit: I didn't realize the first thread that popped up in the search engine was from 2003. D'oH!

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #32 of 44
Another fine cellist to add to the pile: Thomas Demenga. He's generally associated with more contemporary repertoire, but he's done a series of albums for ECM that pair the Bach Cello Suites with modern music.

May 1, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #33 of 44
Anybody know of songs that have a cello and flute (or other wind instrument)? I heard it in a tv show and it was very relaxing. Sounded kind of like first nations music.

May 2, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #34 of 44
Excellent cello rock band:

May 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #35 of 44
argh. I'm sorry, I play cello (have played for, let's see, over three decades), and I used to perpetrate that kind of thing, cello in rockbands, rock songs arranged for cellos, etc. - now you could chase me out of the house with that stuff. we went on tour once, 20 cellists, with a mix of contemporary compositions and the "cello orchestra" staples (you know, Casals' Sardana, various 19th century cello pedagogues' compositions like Klengel etc), and it was okay (I have the recording on tape of us playing at a Danish castle), but these days, whenever I am tempted back, I end up shuddering and leaving. I went to a gig by Matt Haimowitz with seven cello students of his, playing jazz tunes arranged for them - had to leave early. I got the CD, The London Cello Sound (40 Cellos of The London Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra & Philharmonic Orchestra, with Geoffrey Simon conductor), and it's awful in my opinion. and I also bought the Apocalyptica CD (on the recommendation of some head-fi fellow travelers here), and I haven't played it in over a year at least. no, leave the cello its proper role in string ensembles or orchestras or quartets, where it takes on one specialized role in a rich mix of sounds, and it will remain one of my favorite instruments. but multiply cellists on their own, and you get something untenable. I'd rather listen to my neighbor's two year old kids practice their bowing after the Suzuki method - at least I can pretend it's a long-lost John Cage composition.

EDIT: okay, let me soften the negativity with this link I found a few days ago: http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-11152005-001938/unrestricted/Antonov_dis.pdf

May 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #37 of 44

Quote:
I've been listening to Mischa Maisky's performances of Bach's cello Suites on youtube, and I'd love to find some of his recordings that arn't 30 bucks for a cd. Anything here in the states?

edit: I didn't realize the first thread that popped up in the search engine was from 2003. D'oH!

I think this was an excellent thread to resurrect.  There are plenty of Maisky's CDs on Amazon.  I'm pretty sure the $30 are doubles.  The Bach Suites is definitely a double CD.

May 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #40 of 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back