CDs with great performance & sound??
Jun 27, 2002 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
In looking for sources of classical CDs with great sound and performance. While I expect such CDs from Reference Recordings, and from Chesky, I was surprised by the excellent sound quality and performance of a couple of CDs in the Sony "Essential Classics" series. Since this series has an exceptionally large selection, I would like to know what other Head-Fi members think of the sound quality and performance of CDs in this Sony Essential Classics series.

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Mikeg

Which oens do you think are really good?

I was very surprised at how good the Telarc Stravinsky's Firebird is in both redbook and SACD. That's just an awesome recording.

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 11
With my limited experience, there are sometimes excellent recordings in many of the series of major record companies, but doubt that it is consistent through a whole series. Audiophile labels seem to generally have better sound quality, but the selection of artists is rather limited.
I try to start with the compositions and performances rather than the sound quality. If the performance is great I can live with somewhat worse sound. If it is excellent sound quality and mediocre performance, it is very nice to hear the record the first time or have for eqiupment test but then they mostly collect dust.
You could try Gramophones Good CD Guide, there are reviews and ratings for both performance and sound quality (only classical music). This is no absolute truth, but much better than picking records more or less randomly in a store. They also have a Guide for jazz.
BTW, there are many good Naxos records at a low price, especially those made the last years.
I also think I have seen a Penguin Guide for budget CDs.

Jun 30, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Mikeg

Which oens do you think are really good?

I was very surprised at how good the Telarc Stravinsky's Firebird is in both redbook and SACD. That's just an awesome recording.

I am thinking of getting an SACD player in order to see whether SACD is noticeably superior to redbook. Since you have the Firebird in both redbook and SACD, is the sound of the SACD version really superior the the redbook version?

Jun 30, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
I am thinking of getting an SACD player in order to see whether SACD is noticeably superior to redbook. Since you have the Firebird in both redbook and SACD, is the sound of the SACD version really superior the the redbook version?

In a word, "Yup." The XA777ES is pretty damned good at redbook, but the format itself does have limits. SACD is really good. I'd buy Firebird in SACD regardless since it's a dual layer, then if you get SACD later you're in good shape.

Jun 30, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Anders,
I really appreciate your guidance regarding the Gramophone and Naxos guides, and I will look them up in the library or buy them. As for sound quality versus performance, I place a very high emphasis on sound. When performance is exceptional, but sound is lacking, my listening pleasure is spoiled. The limited selection of artists of audiophile labels is a drawback, and that's why I asked about the Sony series. Of course I have also heard fine sound from Philips, London, Telarc, and Deutsche Grammophon, but not always. I am hoping that there is a one whole series in which all CDs have excellent performance and sound. I was actually wondering whether the Sony Essential Classics comprise such a series. By the way, have you sampled any SACDs or DVD-As? In case that you have, do you feel that they represent a significant improvement over redbook?

Jun 30, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 11
I have no SACD player but I heard a demonstration with the same performance (one track) digitalised to SACD and CD. The SACD was clearly superior. This could be an advertising fix, but the guy who presented it was a private person without commercial interest, and undoubtly favoured SACD.
I happen to have a player with both CD and HDCD (which is 20 bit). There are few records printed in the HDCD format, but those I have sound better than CD. I expect SACD to be even better.
Sorry, the Naxos is a label and there is no guide. The Gramophone Guide is available as a book but you can also find reviews on www.gramophone.co.uk
Report if you find any label with consistenly good performance and sound quality!

Jun 30, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 11
Anders,

Oops, I meant the Penguin and not a Naxos guide. If I find a label with consistently good performance, I'll report. Thanks for the info regarding SACD.

Jun 30, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Just a second thought. I remember a few situations where I was dissatisfied with the quality of many of my CDs. Of course, there are differences in sound quality. But it can very well be an indication of an imbalance in the system. After fixing that, I realised that many of the CDs I regardes as bad recordings, were not that bad at all. I think that in a well balanced system, you hear that the exceptional recordings are still exceptional but you are not disturbed by recordings with less quality, although the defecs are hearable.
Of course, the CDP may not be good enough. But much can be cured by some tweaking.
The plugs can become oxidised or dirty after some years. Cleaning with Kontak and De-oxit can give a clear improvement for little money.
Mismath between CDP and interconnect. For example if both are on the harsh side, a more neutral or a little warmer IC can make a substantial improvement.
In my experience, CDPs are sensitive to noise on the AC line. A good power cable reduces harshness and gives a more natural sound.
Just some reflectinons from my own experience.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 11
I see you started another thread looking for a SACD player. Answered without checking your CDP but see you have a Marantz CD5000. It should not be a bad player but there are obviously better players available. Upgrading could be a good move. But the tweaking alternative can push the perforance both with you current and a new player.
I am also interested in a SACD player and have looked a little around for reviews. For example the Philips 1000 and the Sony 555 and 333 seem to be good value for money. According to my impression from reviews they give a SACD performance that is equal or better than the best CD players. The CD performance seems to be good, but lagging a little behind the best CD players, but better than your Marantz.
Look around, but the final test is to borrow one and listen at home.

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 11
My choice is now between the Sony DVP-NS900V and the Philips 1000. Am not considering the Sony 555 because it too big, and I don't need a multi-disk unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back