CDP under 400$
Aug 8, 2001 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
what choices are there? just nosing around at the mo, not enough $$$ yet, but there will be an upgrade anytime soon. The Denon sumthin-370 is the obvious pick, but I want to form my own opinion on this..

so what there? the Marantz cd6000 or maybe a 4000 with a tube upgrade, NAD C-521??? anything else? or does the 370 kick em all?

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Although I haven't listened side-by-side, I'm quite sure that the Marantz CD-6000 OSE beats the Denon DCM-370 in terms of sound. However, if you're getting a budget CDP for now, the 370 is a good choice because it's very cheap and you won't feel bad upgrading it in several months or a year. Also, even if you do upgrade, you could always keep it as the source of a second system.

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Hrm. You just missed an extended discussion on this. We mentioned these players, along with the Cambridge CD500SE, a used Rega Planet, etc. Personally, if I was in the market for a CDP, I'd look to get the most bang for my buck and get a mint used machine...

Brian.

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 11
hmm, I'll have to look for that discussion then..

haven't found any prices or anyone that sells the Denon 370, but it should be pretty cheap. 5 cd sounds great too. But I think I'd be better of buying something good that'll last me a while, so I'm going purely for sound at the mo. used is an option as well, but I'd rather get new, easier to sell after an upgrade.

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 11
Braver,

I recommend the NAD c541. It's the source for my system, MG Head CHA47 (from JMT) Nordost ICs, 325, 580, and Beyer DT 250-80. It offers up great detail and bass for jazz and classical music. A bit of tube rolling with the MG gives me more bass for my forays into trance, ambient, etc. It reads my CD-Rs flawlessly. Last year's model, the 540 and the one before that were not meant to read CD-Rs. NAD has fixed that issue and it also plays HDCD (not that important to me). Just a word of caution the 541 does not have a headphone out so you'll need an amp (portable or home) to drive your cans.

Check out NAD's website for a review from the Gramophone:

http://nadelectronics.com/Reviews/C541-0701.html

The 541 retails for $500, I purchased mine new for $350.

Good luck!

Regards - reynman

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 11
I think it is kinda unfair to categorize DCM370 with the 400 bucks n below range Cd players. Because you can buy a NEW DCM370 for less than 200 dollars ( 198 NEW) which is 50% less than the 400 Dollars mark
smily_headphones1.gif

IF you are willing to spend up to 400 dollars for a CD player. Then why not go for that extra mile and add another 100 dollars on it and get a next level CDP ?

my 2 cents.

Tides

Aug 9, 2001 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 11
Braver: You can get the Denon DCM 370 for hfl.580,- at Stassen. But the 370 does not kick'em all! For $400 (about hfl.1000) I would definately go with something like the Marantz CD6000OSE, I have seen it for hfl.799,- and it sounds really good, or the Cambridge Audio D500SE.

Aug 9, 2001 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 11
heh, well I'm not sure what I want to spend really, but it's got to be something great so I won't have to upgrade for years, something I can build an entire system around. It only has to play regular cd's IMO, features, hdcd, cdr whatever I don't care about. can-jack or not don't matter either, I will be buying an amp first anyway (Porta Corda prolly when it's ready). the NAD C541 is a bit too much at almost 500$ around here...how good is the 521, it's smaller brother?

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 11
I've gotta say that I don't understand the hype around the Denon player. I bought one for my neighbor (because I had a line on it at wholesale price) and I don't think it is anything special. Not even for the price.

As far as NAD goes, I am not too familiar with their current models, but in the past I've always thought they were a decent player. Today, though, there are too many other good sounding players in their competetive price range though, and my current fave (which is why you see it in my sig) is the Cambridge CD500SE. I could even live with this player in my high end rig in the family room if the Rega Planet I've got there ever craps out.
Brian.

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Funny how when I was asking around for a CDP, I didn't get half as many suggestions as the latest postings about CDPs have been getting. And back when I was asking around for a CDP around $500 or less, all I got were "GET THE DENON!!!!!!!!!!!!" And now everybody seems to be saying it's a crappy player. What gives?

Well, I got it, and I flaunt it. I don't plan on upgrading for quite a while, if ever. There's just no looking back when it costs a mere $200 or less.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Try Ah! Tjoeb 99 used. Rated by ST at Stereophile for class D. However, Dick Olsher, former Stereophile senior editor, rated it best CDP under $1500 (save maybe Norh?) and I more or less agree w/ him. But make sure you throw in Amperex 6922 and have options. Otherwise, ST is probably right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back