CD-R: write vs simulate-write & write?
Jan 12, 2005 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
As I always take the very safest route I've been doing the simulate-write & write method which obviously takes twice as long. But I feel a little dopey doing something probably unnecessary.

The only purpose of simulate-write I can imagine is to test if there is enough space on the CD-R when the user is really pushing the envelope;and the simulate part is a waste of time if well within the 700mb?

Am I correct or incorrect? What is the purpose of the simulate part?
Thanks

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 7
I believe that simulating a write is used mostly for diagnostic type purposes--making sure that your discs are compatible with the drive, testing speed, etc. If your burns are turning out fine, you don't need it.

The biggest factor in the quality of your recording will be the blank discs that you use. If you order over the internet, MAM-A (Mitsui) and Taiyo Yudens are the best you'll find. If you have to buy discs at a store, try Verbatims--not quite as good as the others, but still good.

Cheap discs that don't use good dyes can start to loose data in as little as two years because the marks burned into the dye layer by the laser will start to fade. I have had Imation discs that I couldn't read in any drive after just 20 months.

Recording speed can also make a quality difference with some burners. For audio purposes 16x works very well with most equipment.

Of course, not all burners are created equal. Although it's not usually as big a factor in quality as the other two I mentioned you can check out reviews of CD-R writing quality at www.cdr-info.com

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Personally I have used (many years ago) simulate-write to test that source data can be accessed at needed speed when burning FROM cd/dvd (on fly). Modern burners have burn proof option, so they can temporarily stop burning if source data is not available and then continue. Sometimes I also test a few minutes in simulate mode to watch that CPU usage is ok, when doing something else while burning, ie. watch divx movies. I would suggest that you skip simulate-write. I doubt any problems will occur. I use it only in new situations: new burner, new comp, new os...

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys,
Yeah I thought I was wasting my time with the simulation.
Yes jpr703 Mitsui-gold & Plextor drive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Where's a good place to get some 80min Mitsui CD-R's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back