CD Players.. Cary, Wadia or something else?
Jun 10, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 26
Hmm, one problem with the older Sonys... They won't play CDRs (or will they, kinda old...)..

I'm kinda anal about keeping my CDs in the jewel boxes so they stay in pristine condition.

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 26
LOL, is this better?

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 26
Heheh... there's nothing wrong with 666, it's just a number, unless used in a satanic connotation! (and since when do post counts have a satanic connotation?)

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #20 of 26
Nezer

The older Sony ES players were fantasitc *for their time*. The S7000 DVD player sounds very much like them and I was quite happy with it compared to ~$600 or so players in 1998. The S7000 plays CDRs fine--I'm not as certain about the ES players.

By *for the time* of course, I mean it sucks by today's standards. It's quite easy to find something better sounding for less money now.

For the digital artifacts you talk about, in my experience thus far, the Wadia 270/27ix is the only system to completely eliminate it. (I mean it's just completely indetectable to me.) I'm sure the dcs Elgar may also do this. I'm NOT sure anything else does. Wadia actually finds and filters those artifacts as I know you already know. I'm not sure how great a job the lower end Wadias do but what I'm told about the 861's output stage sounds really impressive. In the least, it's probably an awesome player.

The Meridian 588 on the Headroom Tour does a good job with smoothing out the silibants but the artifacts are still there if your obsessed mind is trained to look for them and then become quickly annoyed as mine is. They're there in everything else I've heard... just to varying degrees. The P3A came in really good displaying them mostly within the context of digitally remixed stuff. Accoustic stuff came off really excellent.

As you know, I've been source hunting myself. I landed on ordering the Sony XA777ES not because of its SACD capabilities but because it is hailed so widely as an excellent transport with exceptional build quality and because it is said by almost all modders to be an excellent modable player. I intend to put my source needs in the capable hands of Dan Wright at Modwright and will be posting my results and reviews as it comes along. Right out of the box, the XA's redbook earns its $2k (from Oade) pricetag and competes pretty well. However, if I'd intended to not go the upgrade path, I'd have probably spent a little more and at least auditioned the Cary 306/200 and Wadia 861. However, I'm inclined to believe the money will give me more return on the modded XA. We'll see.

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #21 of 26
I am on pins and needles awaiting your new new source and the reviews that will follow.

I hear the Wadia 301 is supposed to be an absolute incredible player for the price... That's why it's in my list.

Something tells me I'm not getting away for less than $5000... At least that class of CDP also has balanced outputs and will mate nicely with a Blockhead. :wink:

Now, about the tubes... Perhaps I'm too quick to discount these but I don't want to spend a lot of money to find out it doesn't fit me.

The MG head is supposed to be a good value. What about DIY? Could I get the benefits with a DIY project and not spend an arm and a leg in the process... I'm aware of the voltages involved here and the caution that must be taken. Or, should I just get the MG OTL and roll some tubes?

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 26
Was that sarcasm, Nezer?
smily_headphones1.gif

You'd be waiting a long time for my final review of the XA. If I follow through on my current plan I'll have the stock unit this week (which I've already commented on some thanks to the dparrish audition), I'll have the first tier of mods within two months after and some undetermined length of time later I'll have the rest of the mods.

Unfortunately, I think that last bit of digital edge isn't going to make it out until the final mod stage (if ever). I think the output stage is where that happens.

Speaking of that, if you do get the Wadia 301... check my correctness here but I think I was told the 861 is the first one to ship with the new output stage included. If so be sure the 301 you get has been upgraded to it. Sounds like that'd make a lot of difference--especially in the area that seems to effect the two of us so much.

As for balanced out, the XA won't have them. The only Sony that does is the SCD-1 which I'd have to buy used and it'd still cost more. And then it'd cost more to mod and then it'd cost even more to make it fully balanced. (According to Modwright, the SCD-1 really converts single ended to balanced internally and a real full balanced output stage is in the works--he doesn't seem to think it's worth it, though.) Of course, I don't think I want to own a Blockhead anyway but I do think from the little I know that balanced output does make a difference so it'll be at least a small regret for me.... and of course will come with the regret that I won't get to audition the Blockhead via the loaner program. Ah well.

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 26
Getting MG Head is probably a good idea if you want to experience tube sound. You don't even need to roll tubes if you only want to find out whether you prefer tube sound to solid state. Plus you shouldn't have a problem selling it later.

I wouldn't do tube amp in DIY. I don't think it'd be worth time and effort for what you want to have it.

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 26
(Just real quick: I have to protest again this idea of "tube sound." I don't want an MG Head. At that price range, I'd rather have a Corda. I do very much like the $16000 McIntosh tube amp I heard. Does this mean I like tubes or solid states? I think it means I like good amps. Dividing based on the technology alone is just silly. Many people like the MG Head and it might be worth trying out but I don't at all think it's "representative" and that listening to it will let you know whether that McIntosh is right for you or not.) Blah.

Jun 10, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
Getting MG Head is probably a good idea if you want to experience tube sound. You don't even need to roll tubes if you only want to find out whether you prefer tube sound to solid state. Plus you shouldn't have a problem selling it later.

I wouldn't do tube amp in DIY. I don't think it'd be worth time and effort for what you want to have it.

True, plus selling a DIY jobby would probably be a LOT harder than dumping the MG head.

Jun 10, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
(Just real quick: I have to protest again this idea of "tube sound." I don't want an MG Head. At that price range, I'd rather have a Corda. I do very much like the $16000 McIntosh tube amp I heard. Does this mean I like tubes or solid states? I think it means I like good amps. Dividing based on the technology alone is just silly. Many people like the MG Head and it might be worth trying out but I don't at all think it's "representative" and that listening to it will let you know whether that McIntosh is right for you or not.) Blah.

*VERY* good point... Just because I love the HP4 doesn't mean the MG is in the same class. Comparing the HP4 to the Blockhead makes *much* more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back