CD player recommendations
Oct 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mpm2433

New Head-Fier
looking for a CD or combo player that would pair well with my: Valhalla 2, Modi and HD650's

Some of my music is on Blue Ray or Blue Ray concert videos.

Thanks,

Mike Mitchell

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 13
  looking for a CD or combo player that would pair well with my: Valhalla 2, Modi and HD650's

Thanks,

Mike Mitchell

If your using Blu-ray disks, I would assume your looking for a Blu-ray player?
Is your Modi optical or USB?

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 13
  Mostly CD's there are a few blue rays in the mix. the modi is usb

Burn everything to FLAC and load the files on to a Micro-SD card ($20-$30)
Get a FiiO X3 ($170) and install the Micro-SD card.
Connect the X3's line-output to your Valhalla 2
The FiiO X3 can be used at your desktop or take it with you on the move.

Or buy a stand alone Blu-ray player ($100) with an optical output and a Modi Optical DAC ($99).
Connect the Blu-ray to the optical Modi and the Modi optical to the Valhalla 2

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 13

1) BluRay, concert or not, don't work with CDPs - you're gonna need a universal disc player

2) Does the Valhalla2 have two sets of analog inputs? Because there's no way to use an optical disc player with a USB DAC. CDPs with USB ports only have them for storage drive/mobile device inputs (USB-A, usually in front) or digital input from a computer (USB-B in the rear).

3) Why not just use a computer, since you'll be using BluRays with video anyway?

4) You can get an Oppo universal disc player if you really want a standalone disc player. Or, use your computer for BluRay concert, then use a music server like the Aune S1 when it's just music with no video, if you really want a more focused source. I'd go with the the second option as personally I've had it with optical disc transports crapping out on me. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 13
got the v2 and the 650's today. modi still on the way. first off wow! even with a 2$ 1/8 to rca splitter it sounds amazing. thanks for all the input. 

when i get the MODI inline i hope it gets even better. 

back to the cd issue. I'm using a mac air with no on board cd. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 13

Get the Oppo and some kind of input switcher, so you can leave the Modi and the Oppo hooked up to the amp. If the Oppo's rear USB input works with your Mac you can just sell the Modi instead, so try that out first before getting a signal switcher.

The alternative is to get a $100 or so BluRay BR drive, and all those cables going everywhere is just ugly enough to be distracting.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 13
  got the v2 and the 650's today. modi still on the way. first off wow! even with a 2$ 1/8 to rca splitter it sounds amazing. thanks for all the input. 
when i get the MODI inline i hope it gets even better. 

You could get an external Blu-ray player, like the Samsung SE-506BB, it's around $100, I would assume it also works with music CDs.
You would still have to buy software to be able to work with the SE-506BB.

Still think you should burn all you music audio to ALAC, maybe also get an external hard drive to store all the music.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 13
thanks for all the input. I need to go and look up some of these devices and start to see what will suit my needs and foot print.

I left the 650's hooked to my air overnight. running itunes on a shuffle. By the time the sun came up I could hear them from the den. Hooked them back through the V2 and had to turn it down by about 20% from last night.

again thanks for all the help and input. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back