Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Jan 15, 2002 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Anyone else own this sdtk? It's a favorite of mine, how would you categorize it?

George

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 13
haha, castlevania 4 is one of my favourite soundtracks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm kinda disappointed that castlevania: circle of the moon wasn't nearly as good
frown.gif

Not sure what it's classified as, but there's definately some .. rocking organ tracks
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 13
This is one of those on my "to get" list. Not sure how I'd classify it, though... maybe "symphonic"?
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Oh yea, check out gamemmusic.com to order it. As for Super Castlevania 4, i got my hands on that too, it kicks butt. Love that synth-snes era of soundtracks. I think Final Fantasy III just about maxed out that sound processor's capabilities though. Another favorite of mine has been the redbook audio of Y's III: wanderers from y's PC Engine CD-Rom which i snatched up from ebay, its amazing! Wish i could burn it directly to cdr
frown.gif

How 'bout "Symphonic rock" for Symphony of the night?

George

ps. i can always go for some Battle of olympus tunes right about now
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 13
The best Castlevania soundtrack is from the second game on the NES. I have a redo of it on mp3 somewhere and it is quite nifty. Much better then the newest stuff IMO.

Jan 15, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
The best Castlevania soundtrack is from the second game on the NES. I have a redo of it on mp3 somewhere and it is quite nifty. Much better then the newest stuff IMO.

LOL...and that's one hell of an opinion!
tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, the nes stuff is great, and i have tons of mp3's and midis sitting around, but the SOTN is the best Castlevania soundtrack, it's simply brilliant, in IMHO. Have you listened to SOTN Xevion? Hmm, "re-do," do you mean remixed/rearranged?
Tell me more!
wink.gif

George

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 13
Yes, I mean remixes of it, the NES wasn't exactly a powerhouse sound wise so while the tunes are there, that is about it. I haven't heard the SOTN stuff, I was just saying II was much better because I like it so much.

And these are generall mp3s I have randomly downloaded off Audiogalaxy, mp3.com and the like. Yes, they have a bit of a cheesiness to them and are often mostly based from MIDIs with little extra added.

A quick look in my mp3 directory revels a couple of them have been deleted. Of the remaning, the file name of one is "Castlevania 2 Theme (Gothic Techno Remix)" and it is a cheesy MIDIfied sounding redo that is lackluster except for a couple parts that sound quite neat.

The other one can be found at mp3.com here: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/208/...e_project.html

Jan 16, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
I haven't heard the SOTN stuff, I was just saying II was much better because I like it so much.
[/url]

Xevion! How can you say II is better if you haven't listened to SOTN? Bro, you don't know what your missing
eek.gif

The nes "soundchip" may have not been a powerhouse, but we all know those nes games had some great 4 channel (hell, can i even call it 4 channels?!) tunes...ahh...such bliss. Megaman 2 comes to mind!

Do yourself a favor and download some mp3's from SOTN, you won't be disappointed, but be warned, it doesn't sound anything like II. For shame!

George
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Man, I loved the opening chant at the menu screen. What an incredible soundtrack for a game....I have not heard anything to equal it.

I can't think of anything that blew me away as much as SOTN. Although, Final Fantasy VI comes close...it's basically a masterpiece in my opinion. The music inSOTN just fits the game like a glove, every track worked with the drama/action in the game...well, actually:

The Resident Evil series, man the music/sound effects creep me out, god knows how many time i literally jumped out of my seat playing RE2 on PS1!

George

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 13
You say it is on par with FF6? Woah. FF6 is the best game music ever, that is some pretty tough competition. I guess I will have to look into the SOTN soundtrack.

Jan 16, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Oh, can't let this one go. FF VI has an incredible soundtrack, but it still doesn't beat FF IV's soundtrack, IMHO.

Jan 16, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Oh, can't let this one go. FF VI has an incredible soundtrack, but it still doesn't beat FF IV's soundtrack, IMHO.

YA, FFIV was amazing, i can clearly remember playing the game for the first time and my jaw dropped. Then..i put in Super Ghouls n Ghosts and i literally jumped out of my seat...i can't believe i forgot SGNG, that soundtrack is pure bliss, damn i really wish i could find sdtk's to a lot of these Snes games, plus some Genesis games, like Aliens 3, Phantasy Star 2, Sword of vermilion, Streets of rage 1 (soundtrack for part 2 is available online!). There are tons of others, Chronotrigger is another one, the sdtk is gorgeous. They really cranked out some amazing stuff on the Snes' soundchip.

In my opinion, SOTN is right up there with FFVI, but personally FFVI moved me much more, since i played the game for 60+ hrs compared to SOTN 20 hrs or so of gameplay. I think FF VI is much better quality-wise than FFIV. Anyone ever listen to FF V's soundtrack? Some good stuff on there too. Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast also gets my vote, it has some really sweet tracks on it. What do you guys think?

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back