Cassandra Wilson
Apr 13, 2002 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

OneMalt

500+ Head-Fier
I got a copy of Belly Of The Sun earlier this week and picked up Blue Light Til Dawn today. This is some good stuff! She can certainly put a different spin on familiar material as evidenced by her covers of The Weight and believe it or not, Wichita Lineman. Very nice!

Apr 14, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 13
I agree she can put a spin on things. Which of the two albums do you prefer?
Lextek
cool.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 13
So far, Belly Of The Sun because there is a lot more stylistic variety there. But to be fair, I've only given Blue Light Til Dawn one complete listen. From what I've read, Blue Light was her breakthrough album (personally, not commercialy) where she started to embrace the song writtings of others and pretty much find herself musically in the process.

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 13
My favorite is whichever one had that voluptuous mermaid on the cover (was that her?). A prime argument in favor of the 12" lp. You don't need a turntable to enjoy it.

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 13
zowie,

that's New Moon Daughter... pretty good album, the highlight being her cover of U2's One.

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 13
lextek,

christ, that album's stashed somewhere in my closet. now i'm gonna have to dig it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 13
lextek,

i'll have you know i had to pause a conversation regarding comics and dig through a few boxes to find my copy of new moon daughter... you're right, after listening to the first few bars of the bass guitar on strange fruit i'm re-hooked (starting love is blindness now - my mistake, thought it was one, been a while since i heard this cd).

thanks for forcing me to dig it up... having **** in storage sucks.

best,
carlo.

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 13
I picked up New Moon Daughter yesterday. So far, I like it better than Blue Light Til Dawn but not as much as Belly Of The Sun.

Apr 22, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 13
If you guys like Cassandra Wilson...then you gotta try Patricia Barber. Albums like "Modern Cool", "Companion", and "Cafe Blue"
have changed my life. She has a wonderful, sultry, jazz singing voice, and an incredibly talented band to work with. She experiments a little on each album, and you have to wonder what
kind of soul can present music in such a manner.
Besides her interesting approach to music and mood changes, the quality of her recordings are exceptional. There's piano, and guitar, and bass, and percussion coming from places in your headphones and speakers, you never knew exsisted.
P.S. - I stumbled on her while downloading mp3's off the net, and immediately went out and bought 3 of her albums. If the record companies think they are losing money to free downloads, then they should know I never would have even heard of her without the mp3's (or anyone who likes her after reading this, for that matter)!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 13
I sort of like both of them. (Patricia and Cassandra) Patricia's have plenty of night club feel or late night feel to her albums. (I don't know how else to describe) Cassandra has a lot of experimental stuff on her works... they are kind of interesting. Patricia is so jazzy and very evidence but Cassandra is a little more subtle about what kind of music she is playing. Nevertheless, her voice .. is of a diva quality. Some who are traditional may not like what Cassadra did (fuse with folk, blues and a lot of acoustic guitar) but with open mind .. she is very good.

However, though.. my point is.. the two are not really comparable.. they offer very different thing.. only that they have great jazzy female voice and articulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back