cardas, is it worth the money in my case
Oct 15, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 21
Depending on what interconnect you have between source and amp, an upgrade there might get you more for your money.

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 21
Yes, but I think you'd probably get more value for dollar soundwise upgrading your amp first. The cable upgrade really is the very last thing to do IMO.

Oct 15, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
Yes, but I think you'd probably get more value for dollar soundwise upgrading your amp first. The cable upgrade really is the very last thing to do IMO.

usually yes but hd600 after market cable is an exception.

Oct 15, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Not necessarily so....
I recently had more expensive CDP with my headphone set-up and a pair of Cardas Neutral Reference IC's and a better power cord. I swapped places with my home stereo CDP, which is decent but 1/2 the money as the more expensive one. The sound left the building (Elvis, too). I was shocked how much better the Cary was over the Musical Fidelity. But now, I was only using mid-end Tara Labs IC's and a stock powercord. I brought back the Cardas and the upgraded powercord, into the headphone set-up and 90% of my sound quality came back in the building (without Elvis).
My point being, that the Cary is better than the MF, but only by, lets say 10%. But the IC and powercord, made a100% difference, for a lot less money than but another Cary (or whatever).
The Cardas cable for the Senn HD 600 is a huge improvement for a lot less than upgrading the amp (not a cheap one). IMHO YMMV.

Oct 16, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
usually yes but hd600 after market cable is an exception.

Is the stock cable really that bad? It's oxygen free copper, seems to be a fairly decent topology, and is no more poorly constructed than the cables on other headphones in its price range (and even some of the more highly priced cans). I don't see why it should sound worse than (say) the stock CD-3000 cable, or the stock Grado SR-225 cable.

Personally, I like the length as it lets me move around the room easily without the added stiffness, weight and generally shorter lengths of the Cardas and other aftermarket cables. I think that might actually offset any SQ improvements (for me) since I consider wrestling with short, unwieldy cables to be a major PITA. I couldn't stand the HD-280 cable, and even have a problem with Grado SR-series cables in terms of thickness/stiffness/length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back