Car Audio
Oct 31, 2021 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bubbyy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.
Where can i ask about car audio system?
Can anyone help please...
is there any good forums?
I'm a total noob and i want to know is it good to buy two pair of component for my car?
One pair for front doors and one pair for back doors
Or is it better to just buy one pair of component for front doors and pair of coaxial speaker for back
Or just one pair of component with a subwoofer
which type is the best?
I just need a best sound quality and Hi-Fi - High End Sound...

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey guys.
I'm a total noob and i want to know is it good to buy two pair of component for my car?
Or is it better to just buy one pair of component for front doors and pair of coaxial speaker for back

I removed the speakers out back in my car since you only really have two channels in the recording for music (unless it's SACD or BluRay audio or concert BluRays). Same way hifi headphones have only two drivers and hifi speaker systems not geared for surround sound. And even those that are tailored for surround sound tend to use the same series speakers if not the exact same speakers (I've seen one guy buy four pairs of tower speakers and leave one in storage just so all his seven speakers are exactly the same). And for car systems the thing about getting really good front speakers isn't just for tonal consistency ang imaging, it's for being able to spend all the money on good 2-way or 3-way speakers instead of going down a notch and to get a coax for the rear.

When you hear car audio guys talk about more than two channels for IASCA or EMMA processors it's just because the processor splits up the sound the way crossovers on home speakers do. When they say the processor has 6ch time alignment and crossovers it's because it splits up the sound for the two tweeters, two midwoofers, and the subwoofer (or two if you really want to use two and tune the system for that) and then apply a custom delay on each of them so the sound out of each one arrives at the same time at the car driver's head at the same time as the sound from the farthest speaker driver's does. (Note: this will royally screw the sound for the other passengers)

If there's any reason to use rear speakers personally it's for tailgating. But that's for speakers out in the trunk so you don't have a cabin door open. Otherwise if the parking slots are wide enough and you don't expect someone to jump into the car then as long as you have enough power going to the front speakers they'll still be audible even if you have a 1000watt amp feeding a subwoofer in the back.

which type is the best?

One pair 2-way or 3-way components (up to you really) with a subwoofer with a processor, 2 x two channel amplifiers for the 2-way components (or three if you go 3-way) plus one mono amplifier for the subwoofer.

This allows the processor to apply the crossover settings and more importantly introduce a custom delay to each speaker based on distance from you to simulate sitting just off-center in front of two speakers at home, then you have separate amp channels taking that DSP's DACs' low level output to drive each of the tweeters and midwoofer (or midrange and midbass) plus the subwoofer and you also have gain control on each amp pair (plus the mono amp's) on top of balance L-R and digital gain bias on the processor.

For example, in my last car system I had a Pioneer HU sending a -12dB/oct4000hz highpass to Vifa tweeters and an 18dB/oct 2500hz low pass+12dB 70hz high pass to a pair of Focal Polyglass 165VR midwoofers, then an 18dB/oct 50hz low pass to a Polk Audio subwoofer. There's a -4dB on the processor's preamp output for the tweeters while the tweeter amp is set to the lowest gain setting (because 75watts into a 96dB/1W tweeter is not the same as 150watts into a 92dB/1W midwoofer) plus L-R balance set to +2 right (if I don't set this not even time alignment will prevent the left side speakers from pulling the image towards the left since this was a Mazda, not a Maclaren F1).

Don't forget a proper install that way you don't just rely on the processor but also get the speakers set to a proper angle. Tweeters need to be at an optimum angle, except in a car you have to do the custom angle mounts for each tweeter in every cabin since the dispersion pattern has to match the cabin dimensions. Ditto the midrange. For mdiwoofers it's less critical even in a 2-way system but at minimum the door mount has to be very solid and weighed down but you also should completely isolate the front and back sides of the driver without the front firing into chamber of its own (as in old cars that mount onto metal then have the plastic panel in front of it; newer cars have it on the plastic panel, so you have to reinforce it, like how my friend lined the entire panel with resin then Dynamat) but at least cancellation is less of a problem since the only thing in front of the speaker is a grill that prevents your feet or your umbrella from poking the midwoofer. These can be installed in the kick panel though but watch out, and this isn't practical if the car has a clutch pedal unless the manufacturer has an actual kick panel mount like on some older BMWs that are set a bit higher and not too deep in the footwell.

Note: something like a midrange price Focal will sound better properly installed than just sticking Focal Utopias in any random car so make sure you do install them properly.

As for the sub, if you're really crazy about avoiding imaging issues ie time alignment and low crossover points are not a guarantee that the bass will not be too audibly coming from the rear, you can use just an 8in subwoofer and install it on the dash firing up (same spot where Bose puts their OEM car subwoofers - look at the dash on some Nissans). Otherwise it's more about proper box volume and whether you just want a more literal box or you want a custom-molded fiberglass enclosure that either keeps it away from cargo or sets it to the side and installed to show it off. Either way you don't want it moving around back there.

-----

Honestly though I suggest you go to a real car audio forum because I've seen people here advice things like how important a DAC or DAP is and can't hash out why a weird listening environment like a car (that is not a Maclaren F1 or a customized ////////ALPINE show car with an interior layout like a Maclaren F1) needs a DSP. Most of them never even got the Maclaren F1 reference ie sitting in the center of the cabin like sitting in the center at home (or wearing a headphone where both earcups are right by your ears).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Hey guys.
which type is the best?
The more, the better, right? 🔊
before you install any speakers in your car, did you change the media player (the source)? does your car have a CD player, a cassette player (like mine) or is it a modern car with a screen and access to apps etcetera?
If you haven't already, I would suggest upgrading the source before upgrading the speakers.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 10
I removed the speakers out back in my car since you only really have two channels in the recording for music (unless it's SACD or BluRay audio or concert BluRays). Same way hifi headphones have only two drivers and hifi speaker systems not geared for surround sound. And even those that are tailored for surround sound tend to use the same series speakers if not the exact same speakers (I've seen one guy buy four pairs of tower speakers and leave one in storage just so all his seven speakers are exactly the same). And for car systems the thing about getting really good front speakers isn't just for tonal consistency ang imaging, it's for being able to spend all the money on good 2-way or 3-way speakers instead of going down a notch and to get a coax for the rear.

When you hear car audio guys talk about more than two channels for IASCA or EMMA processors it's just because the processor splits up the sound the way crossovers on home speakers do. When they say the processor has 6ch time alignment and crossovers it's because it splits up the sound for the two tweeters, two midwoofers, and the subwoofer (or two if you really want to use two and tune the system for that) and then apply a custom delay on each of them so the sound out of each one arrives at the same time at the car driver's head at the same time as the sound from the farthest speaker driver's does. (Note: this will royally screw the sound for the other passengers)

If there's any reason to use rear speakers personally it's for tailgating. But that's for speakers out in the trunk so you don't have a cabin door open. Otherwise if the parking slots are wide enough and you don't expect someone to jump into the car then as long as you have enough power going to the front speakers they'll still be audible even if you have a 1000watt amp feeding a subwoofer in the back.

One pair 2-way or 3-way components (up to you really) with a subwoofer with a processor, 2 x two channel amplifiers for the 2-way components (or three if you go 3-way) plus one mono amplifier for the subwoofer.

This allows the processor to apply the crossover settings and more importantly introduce a custom delay to each speaker based on distance from you to simulate sitting just off-center in front of two speakers at home, then you have separate amp channels taking that DSP's DACs' low level output to drive each of the tweeters and midwoofer (or midrange and midbass) plus the subwoofer and you also have gain control on each amp pair (plus the mono amp's) on top of balance L-R and digital gain bias on the processor.

For example, in my last car system I had a Pioneer HU sending a -12dB/oct4000hz highpass to Vifa tweeters and an 18dB/oct 2500hz low pass+12dB 70hz high pass to a pair of Focal Polyglass 165VR midwoofers, then an 18dB/oct 50hz low pass to a Polk Audio subwoofer. There's a -4dB on the processor's preamp output for the tweeters while the tweeter amp is set to the lowest gain setting (because 75watts into a 96dB/1W tweeter is not the same as 150watts into a 92dB/1W midwoofer) plus L-R balance set to +2 right (if I don't set this not even time alignment will prevent the left side speakers from pulling the image towards the left since this was a Mazda, not a Maclaren F1).

Don't forget a proper install that way you don't just rely on the processor but also get the speakers set to a proper angle. Tweeters need to be at an optimum angle, except in a car you have to do the custom angle mounts for each tweeter in every cabin since the dispersion pattern has to match the cabin dimensions. Ditto the midrange. For mdiwoofers it's less critical even in a 2-way system but at minimum the door mount has to be very solid and weighed down but you also should completely isolate the front and back sides of the driver without the front firing into chamber of its own (as in old cars that mount onto metal then have the plastic panel in front of it; newer cars have it on the plastic panel, so you have to reinforce it, like how my friend lined the entire panel with resin then Dynamat) but at least cancellation is less of a problem since the only thing in front of the speaker is a grill that prevents your feet or your umbrella from poking the midwoofer. These can be installed in the kick panel though but watch out, and this isn't practical if the car has a clutch pedal unless the manufacturer has an actual kick panel mount like on some older BMWs that are set a bit higher and not too deep in the footwell.

Note: something like a midrange price Focal will sound better properly installed than just sticking Focal Utopias in any random car so make sure you do install them properly.

As for the sub, if you're really crazy about avoiding imaging issues ie time alignment and low crossover points are not a guarantee that the bass will not be too audibly coming from the rear, you can use just an 8in subwoofer and install it on the dash firing up (same spot where Bose puts their OEM car subwoofers - look at the dash on some Nissans). Otherwise it's more about proper box volume and whether you just want a more literal box or you want a custom-molded fiberglass enclosure that either keeps it away from cargo or sets it to the side and installed to show it off. Either way you don't want it moving around back there.

-----

Honestly though I suggest you go to a real car audio forum because I've seen people here advice things like how important a DAC or DAP is and can't hash out why a weird listening environment like a car (that is not a Maclaren F1 or a customized ////////ALPINE show car with an interior layout like a Maclaren F1) needs a DSP. Most of them never even got the Maclaren F1 reference ie sitting in the center of the cabin like sitting in the center at home (or wearing a headphone where both earcups are right by your ears).
Wow... tnx man... it was so so helpful and complete, some of your words are so specialization and i must to discuss and bring up with the seller and installer.
Thank you really.
But first let me discuss something with you and ask about them and you can really help me if you do not have a problem with it.
So i need one pair 2-way or 3-way components - Subwoofer - 2 x two channel amplifier - one mono amplifier - and a processor.
First i wanna know can i buy just one four channel amplifier for my component instead of 2 x two channel amplifier? why i need two pair of amplifier for one pair of 2-way components?
And i was thinking to buy a head unit, something like Alpine UTE-62EBT or Pioneer DEH-9450UB and now i wanna know just with a processor i don't need a professional head unit like the two models i named? my car have a very very normal and cheap media player (the source) that my car company installed on it and it have USB - Bluetooth - CD player and very little screen with very very little settings. So, just processor??? Or i need a head unit too??? i can buy something like Helix Mini DSP or Hertz H8 DSP with the money of Alpine UTE-62EBT or Pioneer DEH-9450UB... So Processor like Helix mini DSP or Hertz H8 DSP are better and works better than Alpine UTE-62EBT or Pioneer DEH-9450UB?
And my final question is about component... i don't know why, but Hertz products are cheap in my country... very very cheaper than Alpine , Focal are other good brands.
You know i can buy Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO for just $250!!! it cost $549 on amazon.
I wanna know is it good component for me??? with that price.
with the price of Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO i guess i can't really buy anything good like Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO
i can buy Image Dynamics CXS64 , Helix P 62C , DLS RMC6.2
And Helix P 62c and DLS RMC6.2 are highly recommended by the seller, especially DLS. do you know DLS??
He offer me DLS Ultimate UPi6 with $400 price and highly recommended and he compare this model with some good model like Alpine SPR-60C - Alpine R-65c - Alpine R-65c.2 - Focal PS 165F - Focal 165 AS 3 Access - Image Dynamics XS65 - Image Dynamics XS69
What do you think?
https://dls.se/product/upi6/
and in my country all these model that i named are about $350 (like Alpine SPR-60C - Alpine R-65c) to $400 like (Image Dynamics XS69 or Focal PS 165FX)
What do you think? do you know DLS Ultimate UPi6? is it really good?
Should i go with Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO with that price or cost $100-150 more for the models i named??

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Wow... tnx man... it was so so helpful and complete, some of your words are so specialization and i must to discuss and bring up with the seller and installer.
Thank you really.
But first let me discuss something with you and ask about them and you can really help me if you do not have a problem with it.
So i need one pair 2-way or 3-way components - Subwoofer - 2 x two channel amplifier - one mono amplifier - and a processor.
First i wanna know can i buy just one four channel amplifier for my component instead of 2 x two channel amplifier? why i need two pair of amplifier for one pair of 2-way components?

You can get a single 4ch for the component speakers but just note that unless you have something like my DD C4 which is an asymmetrical 4ch - ie 2x75w and 2x150w - you can end up with say a 4x100w or 4x150w amplifier that even if you set the amp gain to as low as it can go the tweeters will still get 100w or worse, more than that, like 150w. If you fix the gain properly and don't crank it up too much (much less keep it playing even when the driver is distorting) it's not a problem in terms of not destroying the tweeters. It does however make gain matching the entire system a bit more problematic than if you were sending more power to the less efficient midwoofers.

My DD C4 for example has the 75w channels on the tweeters set to as low as they can go on the amp, but my processor is at -4dB on the tweeter outputs while the preamp out for the midwoofers is at 0dB and their amp channels are at 11:00 on the gain dial. If they were all getting 150w it will be necessary to have more negative adjustment on the tweeter output, or you have to match it with higher gain settings on the midwoofer. Again, not totally a problem, just be aware that such a problem can happen and depending on the adjustments available to your processor ie not enough negative dB adjustment for the tweeter outputs you might end up either getting more noise by cranking up the amp gain and maybe also clipping if you also increase the preamp output gain for the midwoofers. And then after all that you now have to crank up the sub gain as well (although noise is a bit less of a problem here unless the subwoofer is in the cabin).
One way to get around this though is to use the passive crossover that came with the components on the tweeters especially if they have a -3dB attenuation feature so that's one extra adjustment option. Just note that you have to set the output on the processor for these channels to either full range or set the crossover to a point below where the stock crossover cuts it, then use the active low pass off the processor and try to match the midwoofers' response to the tweeters from there.

By contrast if you used two stereo amps you have the option to get one 2x50w or 2x75w for the tweeters and a 2x150 for the midwoofers.

All that said though Scott Buwalda has six 2x150w DLS A3 dual mono amplifiers in his system with three running in stereo running each pair of tweeters, midrange, and midwoofers, then the other three bridged to drive each of the three subwoofers. Not that you need to copy this system, which to a great extent has more to do with having a very symmetrical looking amplifier rack out in the trunk (and three 12in free air subwoofers to compensate for not having an enclosure while never pushing them as increasing the output from one freeair sub has inherently more driver distortion, so he adds more surface area instead), just that hey he sent 150w to tweeters and was able to win IASCA.

Honestly I've never seen an amp rack as clean as this just from using the same amp. I guess it inspired Alpine to use the same stackable chassis for their ICEPower amps, but that's easier to do when all but the two most powerful mono amps in the series can be cooled by the same smaller chassis.
ScottBAltimaInstall.jpg

And i was thinking to buy a head unit, something like Alpine UTE-62EBT or Pioneer DEH-9450UB and now i wanna know just with a processor i don't need a professional head unit like the two models i named? my car have a very very normal and cheap media player (the source) that my car company installed on it and it have USB - Bluetooth - CD player and very little screen with very very little settings. So, just processor??? Or i need a head unit too??? i can buy something like Helix Mini DSP or Hertz H8 DSP with the money of Alpine UTE-62EBT or Pioneer DEH-9450UB... So Processor like Helix mini DSP or Hertz H8 DSP are better and works better than Alpine UTE-62EBT or Pioneer DEH-9450UB?

The reason why I only mentioned a processor is because they've been designed for system integration ever since cars have been coming out with non-standard DIN receivers in the early 2000s. Some can't even just have a converter kit that easily replaces a panel on the dash because the receiver unit and controls isn't on some subpanel that you can remove without gutting it out of the panel, so replacement dash panels tend to also have to include HVAC controls just to avoid gutting the receiver, rewiring all controls, etc.

These integration processors can take analogue signals from the stock receiver, run it through an ADC so that it can run that signal through the DSP, then run it through its own DACs in a three-way or four-way output where you can apply crossovers and time alignment. And no, I don't care about the GIGO principle in an environment where the fact that you don't have a Maclaren F1 has a bigger impact on the sound (ie you're not sitting dead center) than absolutist hifi signal integrity.

Honestly these days the only real reasons to get an aftermarket receiver are

1. Its USB input takes FLAC while the stock receiver takes only 192kbps MP3. Note: depending on how much of a PITA it is to replace the receiver with an HU, bit rate and compression level alone is not enough to negate being able to simulate sitting equidistant to each speaker driver. Or you're opting for an Android HU that has Spotify on it instead of beaming it via BT from the phone.

2. It has a good processor built in (kind of rare these days)

3. The HU has digital output and the DSP you're looking at has digital input, so you don't need to DAC-ADC the signal before the DSP-DACs-preamp.

4. The HU and DSP are the same brand, so you not only get digital interface, you can easily control the DSP from the dash instead of hooking up a USB cable to the processor then the other end goes into a laptop.

Also use a decent laptop for this (not that a Macbook Air or Dell XPS is hard to find, just don't cover the vent holes with your lap/pants if it's not the fanless Macbook Air or Macbook 12in), because if you run the auto-tuning for time alignment with a noisy netbook or cheap notebook fan running, it will royally screw with the auto tuning...and yeah the pros I know keep the car then the shop owner does this at night, which is still a PITA because he's in an area with other car accessory shops and it only takes one dumb racer boy to make him have to repeat the whole process). If you're having this professionally done, then it's up to the pro to figure this out.

And my final question is about component... i don't know why, but Hertz products are cheap in my country... very very cheaper than Alpine , Focal are other good brands.
You know i can buy Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO for just $250!!! it cost $549 on amazon.
I wanna know is it good component for me??? with that price.
with the price of Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO i guess i can't really buy anything good like Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO
i can buy Image Dynamics CXS64 , Helix P 62C , DLS RMC6.2
And Helix P 62c and DLS RMC6.2 are highly recommended by the seller, especially DLS. do you know DLS??
He offer me DLS Ultimate UPi6 with $400 price and highly recommended and he compare this model with some good model like Alpine SPR-60C - Alpine R-65c - Alpine R-65c.2 - Focal PS 165F -

I had the old midrange Hertz before and also got it cheap. Pretty good considering they were the price of the midrange JBLs here. Mylar tweeters on those were still a bit plasticky to be honest (hard to describe but where bad metallic tweeters can be excessively sharp these sound like the treble equivalent of hollow bass, just not too bad for the price).

And honestly unlike in a home system where a large enough room made out of solid wood (mostly) would negate having to line the whole place in acoustic material, anything short of Maclaren F1 where you sit dead center makes installation and tuning far more critical than the speakers' marketing tier. I've seen a system win the lowest category (you're limited to a total MSRP ceiling for new stuff, some older stuff can be valued used even if you had it for years, etc) with just a V-Drive ////////ALPINE HU using the V-Drive amp to drive $40 Dai1Chi tweeters and midwoofers (he also used the internal DSP) and a bootleg "Alpine 1000w" four channel amp bridged to drive two voice coils on a single $50 Dai1Chi subwoofer.

A certain tonal balance prior to being able to have more control should still guide your choice though since you can't do everything via DSP. That's why I still replaced the Hertz with the Vifa BC25 tweeters and Focal VR165 midwoofers, though retained the subwoofer. This system kind of sounds like the RS2 and HD650 together, with the treble being the product of my own tuning (ie the -4dB on the tweeter output). I suggest hanging around that shop and ask if you can listen to some of the cars they're putting together, or if you have a headphone system but the shop owner is more into speakers (in cars and at home), bring your headphone system and tell him to go for something that sounds close to that (make sure to note that the seemingly weak low end can be due to noise and not having tactile feedback).

Focal 165 AS 3 Access - Image Dynamics XS65 - Image Dynamics XS69
What do you think?

I'd avoid these. Never liked the first iteration enough that I wouldn't recommend the new versions without listening to them first. My friend got the 3-way and it took a lot of tuning to tame the tweeters while more power and EQ and a lot of Dynamat and fiberglass still can't get the midbass drivers to catch up the Polyglass VR then he might as well have coughed up a bit more to get a 2-way 165VR not to mention there's less angling and time alignment tuning on a 2ch than a 3-way. Don't get me wrong, his system was great, with really good stuff once you get it right it can be fantastic, but on the low end unless you're just buying raw drivers instead of still expensive sets from car audio brands, this is just not worth the hassle.

I'd avoid oblong drivers too. These get you more low frequencies but the non-asymmetrical distance from the center of the cone to the surrounds means it's more likely to distort at the same excursion level. That's why most good components come in round midwoofers/midbass drivers and people who have cars that came with 5x7 or 6x9 in the front doors used adapters to mount 6.5in there.

https://dls.se/product/upi6/
and in my country all these model that i named are about $350 (like Alpine SPR-60C - Alpine R-65c) to $400 like (Image Dynamics XS69 or Focal PS 165FX)
What do you think? do you know DLS Ultimate UPi6? is it really good?
Should i go with Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO with that price or cost $100-150 more for the models i named??

If the shop has a wall with speaker driver mounting holes choose whatever set sounds great to you on that. It won't guarantee they'll sound like that without tuning in your car, but at least you'll only be working around mitigating the cabin's effect rather than speakers you don't even like in a less than screwy acoustic environment.

If that shop doesn't have this then try to attend car audio events (it's not like people aren't getting vaccinated by this point, unless you live in the Philippines) and listen to as many cars as you can. Again, it won't guarantee they'd sound exactly the same in your car, but at least you know you can try to chase that in your own car than using one system that sounds completely different and best you have to run an RTA on that car then try to match that response in your own car using different speakers.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 10
You can get a single 4ch for the component speakers but just note that unless you have something like my DD C4 which is an asymmetrical 4ch - ie 2x75w and 2x150w - you can end up with say a 4x100w or 4x150w amplifier that even if you set the amp gain to as low as it can go the tweeters will still get 100w or worse, more than that, like 150w. If you fix the gain properly and don't crank it up too much (much less keep it playing even when the driver is distorting) it's not a problem in terms of not destroying the tweeters. It does however make gain matching the entire system a bit more problematic than if you were sending more power to the less efficient midwoofers.

My DD C4 for example has the 75w channels on the tweeters set to as low as they can go on the amp, but my processor is at -4dB on the tweeter outputs while the preamp out for the midwoofers is at 0dB and their amp channels are at 11:00 on the gain dial. If they were all getting 150w it will be necessary to have more negative adjustment on the tweeter output, or you have to match it with higher gain settings on the midwoofer. Again, not totally a problem, just be aware that such a problem can happen and depending on the adjustments available to your processor ie not enough negative dB adjustment for the tweeter outputs you might end up either getting more noise by cranking up the amp gain and maybe also clipping if you also increase the preamp output gain for the midwoofers. And then after all that you now have to crank up the sub gain as well (although noise is a bit less of a problem here unless the subwoofer is in the cabin).
One way to get around this though is to use the passive crossover that came with the components on the tweeters especially if they have a -3dB attenuation feature so that's one extra adjustment option. Just note that you have to set the output on the processor for these channels to either full range or set the crossover to a point below where the stock crossover cuts it, then use the active low pass off the processor and try to match the midwoofers' response to the tweeters from there.

By contrast if you used two stereo amps you have the option to get one 2x50w or 2x75w for the tweeters and a 2x150 for the midwoofers.

All that said though Scott Buwalda has six 2x150w DLS A3 dual mono amplifiers in his system with three running in stereo running each pair of tweeters, midrange, and midwoofers, then the other three bridged to drive each of the three subwoofers. Not that you need to copy this system, which to a great extent has more to do with having a very symmetrical looking amplifier rack out in the trunk (and three 12in free air subwoofers to compensate for not having an enclosure while never pushing them as increasing the output from one freeair sub has inherently more driver distortion, so he adds more surface area instead), just that hey he sent 150w to tweeters and was able to win IASCA.

Honestly I've never seen an amp rack as clean as this just from using the same amp. I guess it inspired Alpine to use the same stackable chassis for their ICEPower amps, but that's easier to do when all but the two most powerful mono amps in the series can be cooled by the same smaller chassis.
ScottBAltimaInstall.jpg

The reason why I only mentioned a processor is because they've been designed for system integration ever since cars have been coming out with non-standard DIN receivers in the early 2000s. Some can't even just have a converter kit that easily replaces a panel on the dash because the receiver unit and controls isn't on some subpanel that you can remove without gutting it out of the panel, so replacement dash panels tend to also have to include HVAC controls just to avoid gutting the receiver, rewiring all controls, etc.

These integration processors can take analogue signals from the stock receiver, run it through an ADC so that it can run that signal through the DSP, then run it through its own DACs in a three-way or four-way output where you can apply crossovers and time alignment. And no, I don't care about the GIGO principle in an environment where the fact that you don't have a Maclaren F1 has a bigger impact on the sound (ie you're not sitting dead center) than absolutist hifi signal integrity.

1. Its USB input takes FLAC while the stock receiver takes only 192kbps MP3. Note: depending on how much of a PITA it is to replace the receiver with an HU, bit rate and compression level alone is not enough to negate being able to simulate sitting equidistant to each speaker driver. Or you're opting for an Android HU that has Spotify on it instead of beaming it via BT from the phone.

3. The HU has digital output and the DSP you're looking at has digital input, so you don't need to DAC-ADC the signal before the DSP-DACs-preamp.

4. The HU and DSP are the same brand, so you not only get digital interface, you can easily control the DSP from the dash instead of hooking up a USB cable to the processor then the other end goes into a laptop.

Also use a decent laptop for this (not that a Macbook Air or Dell XPS is hard to find, just don't cover the vent holes with your lap/pants if it's not the fanless Macbook Air or Macbook 12in), because if you run the auto-tuning for time alignment with a noisy netbook or cheap notebook fan running, it will royally screw with the auto tuning...and yeah the pros I know keep the car then the shop owner does this at night, which is still a PITA because he's in an area with other car accessory shops and it only takes one dumb racer boy to make him have to repeat the whole process). If you're having this professionally done, then it's up to the pro to figure this out.

I had the old midrange Hertz before and also got it cheap. Pretty good considering they were the price of the midrange JBLs here. Mylar tweeters on those were still a bit plasticky to be honest (hard to describe but where bad metallic tweeters can be excessively sharp these sound like the treble equivalent of hollow bass, just not too bad for the price).

And honestly unlike in a home system where a large enough room made out of solid wood (mostly) would negate having to line the whole place in acoustic material, anything short of Maclaren F1 where you sit dead center makes installation and tuning far more critical than the speakers' marketing tier. I've seen a system win the lowest category (you're limited to a total MSRP ceiling for new stuff, some older stuff can be valued used even if you had it for years, etc) with just a V-Drive ////////ALPINE HU using the V-Drive amp to drive $40 Dai1Chi tweeters and midwoofers (he also used the internal DSP) and a bootleg "Alpine 1000w" four channel amp bridged to drive two voice coils on a single $50 Dai1Chi subwoofer.

A certain tonal balance prior to being able to have more control should still guide your choice though since you can't do everything via DSP. That's why I still replaced the Hertz with the Vifa BC25 tweeters and Focal VR165 midwoofers, though retained the subwoofer. This system kind of sounds like the RS2 and HD650 together, with the treble being the product of my own tuning (ie the -4dB on the tweeter output). I suggest hanging around that shop and ask if you can listen to some of the cars they're putting together, or if you have a headphone system but the shop owner is more into speakers (in cars and at home), bring your headphone system and tell him to go for something that sounds close to that (make sure to note that the seemingly weak low end can be due to noise and not having tactile feedback).

I'd avoid these. Never liked the first iteration enough that I wouldn't recommend the new versions without listening to them first. My friend got the 3-way and it took a lot of tuning to tame the tweeters while more power and EQ and a lot of Dynamat and fiberglass still can't get the midbass drivers to catch up the Polyglass VR then he might as well have coughed up a bit more to get a 2-way 165VR not to mention there's less angling and time alignment tuning on a 2ch than a 3-way. Don't get me wrong, his system was great, with really good stuff once you get it right it can be fantastic, but on the low end unless you're just buying raw drivers instead of still expensive sets from car audio brands, this is just not worth the hassle.

I'd avoid oblong drivers too. These get you more low frequencies but the non-asymmetrical distance from the center of the cone to the surrounds means it's more likely to distort at the same excursion level. That's why most good components come in round midwoofers/midbass drivers and people who have cars that came with 5x7 or 6x9 in the front doors used adapters to mount 6.5in there.

If the shop has a wall with speaker driver mounting holes choose whatever set sounds great to you on that. It won't guarantee they'll sound like that without tuning in your car, but at least you'll only be working around mitigating the cabin's effect rather than speakers you don't even like in a less than screwy acoustic environment.

If that shop doesn't have this then try to attend car audio events (it's not like people aren't getting vaccinated by this point, unless you live in the Philippines) and listen to as many cars as you can. Again, it won't guarantee they'd sound exactly the same in your car, but at least you know you can try to chase that in your own car than using one system that sounds completely different and best you have to run an RTA on that car then try to match that response in your own car using different speakers.

ScottBAltimaInstall.jpg

Well, thank you very much for all this information, you are really helping me a lot.
You know, when I asked you here and you gave me the answer, I really did not know anything about car audio and I understood very little of what you said.
I still do not know anything but I understand your words a little more because I went after these things and did research and my knowledge became a little more, but still only little more.
Well, about amplifier, I fully understand what you mean and why you say, I use two amps with 2ch... and I do not think I can find 4ch amp here like your asymmetrical amp.
So, regarding the 4ch amp, one of the professional seller and installer told me that if you use the 4ch amp and use the processor, you can use active on the component, and remove the passive crossover of the component and install your component fully active, and Set up Twitter and woofer separately, and if you can do the same, you no longer need two of 2ch amp, but again, I think two of 2ch amps can be better.
Of course, this seller that I told about, the amp that he offered me is an expensive Helix H400X for AudioSystem AE650C and STEG MT650C II, which is expensive for me, I can not buy it... it's over priced for me.
Btw that he suggested a stronger amplifier (Helix C Four) for stronger speakers (STEG ME650C II) And he said that for STEG ME650C II, you must get a powerful amp like Helix C Four and not Helix H400X !
I'm not really sure if for these components should have strong amplifiers like these two Helix models and of course, keep in mind that this seller offers me what he has and he has so many limited products right now that maybe with these words and tips he just wants to sell them to me.
You know, these are the amplifiers I can buy for component. These fit into my budget:
-2X 2ch DLS CC2 ( This is the cheapest option to buy to of DLS CC2 )
-Rockford P400-4
-Rockford R300x4
-Mosconi Gladen AS 100.4
-Gladen XL150c4
Mosconi and Gladen are more expensive than other options.

And as for the amp, one thing you said that I can set twitters on 2x50w or 2x75w and the midwoofers on 2x150 but there is a point that these amplifiers that I mentioned are not 150 except for Gladen XL150c4 which I heard is much weaker than Mosconi Gladen AS 100.4.
Well, with these situation and for doing what you said should I choose an 150 watts rms amp?
So it does not do that with amplifiers DLS CC2 or Rockford P400-4 or Mosconi Gladen AS 100.4?

And about the Subwoofer, let me ask you something.
My car is a Peugeot 206 hatchback.
I don't want very, very strong sub and bass that the bass is very showy and more of a bass music, you know.
I want a high quality, musical bass that responds quickly and exactly in tune with the music an be very accurate
A soft and balanced and decent bass that only compensates for the weakness of the components for not having a bass.
You know, i really don't like the sub to shake the car and its seats at all, I just want the subwoofer to make up for the lack of component bass.
And i need that to be completely high quality and musical and play the bass in sync with the music.
Not powerful bass to impress others... Just a decent and balanced bass for the music.
And that I can not get subwoofer for dash in my car.
I Can get a subwoofer with box for the trunk or an active model under the seat.
And the good models that are available for the trunk with box are these:
Image Dynamics ID 8 or 10
Image Dynamics IDQ 8 or 10
Gladen SQX 8 or 10
Rockford Fosgate P300 - Active model - 8 or 10
Rockford P1 and P2 and P3
DLS Nordica 10i
I do not know which one to choose.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Well, thank you very much for all this information, you are really helping me a lot.
You know, when I asked you here and you gave me the answer, I really did not know anything about car audio and I understood very little of what you said.
I still do not know anything but I understand your words a little more because I went after these things and did research and my knowledge became a little more, but still only little more.
Well, about amplifier, I fully understand what you mean and why you say, I use two amps with 2ch... and I do not think I can find 4ch amp here like your asymmetrical amp.

The asymmetrical 4ch to non-identical pair of 2ch amps isn't really of absolute necessity. It just makes your life easier as it makes for fewer gain adjustments to the preamp out going to the much higher sensitivity tweeter without having to crank up the gain on the preamp going to the midwoofer if you're also sending more power to them in the first place. Not to mention they'll have more headroom before they clip instead of clipping much sooner before the tweeter, which can pretty much happen if you're not putting a lot lot power into the midwoofers and have them cranked up. The problem with just putting a lot of power into the tweeters and midwoofers is you'll exacerbate how loud the tweeter will run as well, and there's always the chance that the processor can't go down to -6dB or past that on the tweeters' preamp signal in order to get it equal to the midwoofers.

So, regarding the 4ch amp, one of the professional seller and installer told me that if you use the 4ch amp and use the processor, you can use active on the component, and remove the passive crossover of the component and install your component fully active, and Set up Twitter and woofer separately, and if you can do the same, you no longer need two of 2ch amp...

Yes you can still run full active with a symmetrical 4ch amp (or two identical 2ch amps for that matter).

But like I said above your main problem with not having way more power on the midwoofers is you're more reliant on there being enough gain control on each pair of preamp outputs out of the processor, and putting way more power into both can still make for needing more gain adjustment even if you set the tweeter channels'/amp's gain at the lowest setting.

But again, it's not like you can't ever get it right with symmetrical 4ch amps (or an identical pair of 2ch amps). Just that if I'm starting from the ground up I'd ensure more flexibility in being able to get them equal, whether it's putting more power into the midwoofers or having a processor that can go past -6dB on the tweeter channels (or both).

...but again, I think two of 2ch amps can be better.

If you can use two different amps and use a more powerful amp for the midwoofers, then yes, that's a good idea.

Anyways you have an installer doing to the work for you so he'll figure out the wiring, like getting a nice distribution block so you can have three 8ga to 4ga 12V+ cables and three GND cables, plus the power switch trigger. I had a friend before who ordered a three-amp distro block that's supposed to go right on the battery, he installed it, wired it up, and...then he slammed the hood closed and cracked the block LOL (he never checked for clearance LOL). At least your installer is a pro, he's gonna check issues like that, not to mention he's probably got a distribution block that takes a 4ga cable so he can split the power away from the battery terminal/ I don't really think that would actually affect power unless you're pushing for very high power use (like bass dB competitions), I just personally prefer keeping amp lines separate the whole way since multiple 8ga cables are usually easier to get past the firewall at different points than a single 4ga with thick AF insulation.

Of course, this seller that I told about, the amp that he offered me is an expensive Helix H400X for AudioSystem AE650C and STEG MT650C II, which is expensive for me, I can not buy it... it's over priced for me.
Btw that he suggested a stronger amplifier (Helix C Four) for stronger speakers (STEG ME650C II) And he said that for STEG ME650C II, you must get a powerful amp like Helix C Four and not Helix H400X !

Can't find enough info on the speakers but if the sensitivity is at least 90dB as a system you might be able to get away with just 70w from the H400X. Just note that component speakers' sensitivity rating is typically that of the midwoofer, as the passive crossovers attenuate the tweeter output, even on the terminals not marked with -XdB, because otherwise that tweeter is always higher sensitivity than the midwoofer or midbass and midrange in the same set.

As for the more expensive amp, that one isn't just more expensive because it's a better amp with more power, but also because the C Four has DSP. Which if you're using a separate DSP is redundant, and I don't even know how to use this as the only DSP - I don't see any pass through subwoofer channel outputs on it to connect to a subwoofer, just that it has SPDIF input.

As for getting more power...there's the Helix M Six. Bridge two channels to run the midwoofers, then the remaining stereo pair can run the tweeters. Problem: some fullrange class D aren't recommended for bridging into anything but a subwoofer because distortion is higher or they really just sound tinny when bridged (ie in terms of % THD might not be too high but it's audible and makes the sound audibly leaner), so maybe that's one reason why he didn't pitch that to you.

In any case, shop around a bit more and check other stores, but make sure they can do custom installations instead of just sticking the tweeters on the dash because proper installation and tuning can be even more critical for everything other than sheer tonal quality (for one, even if you have the right speaker and amp pairing, if you're getting a lot of reflections in the car the warm sound can have piercing high frequencies since in a car sibilance has much, much, much more to do with reflections than mere output/response imbalance).

I'm not really sure if for these components should have strong amplifiers like these two Helix models and of course, keep in mind that this seller offers me what he has and he has so many limited products right now that maybe with these words and tips he just wants to sell them to me.

The 85wpc off one of them should be fine for most given I don't have the exact sensitivity rating for the component set much less just the midwoofer.

Up to a point, damping factor will matter a lot more given the mounts in a car aren't tuned enclosures to dampen driver movement (even if these are designed for effectively free air operation). The problem there is damping factor isn't always stated and even if they were the methodology for how they got them are not always comparable as this can have a lot to do with the load impedance that the amp has to run, so for the most part car audio guys just go off others' assessment of "what has punch but doesn't turn the low end into a mudslide."

You know, these are the amplifiers I can buy for component. These fit into my budget:
-2X 2ch DLS CC2 ( This is the cheapest option to buy to of DLS CC2 )
-Rockford P400-4
-Rockford R300x4
-Mosconi Gladen AS 100.4
-Gladen XL150c4
Mosconi and Gladen are more expensive than other options.

Haven't listened to any of those. I do have experience with RFs and DLS, and I've practically stopped liking RF after the :BBQ Grill" and "Batman" models that had a lot of Class A bias, had very low noise, good tone, etc, but can either break if you're constantly stuck in traffic with the sun out (as the sun turns the trunk into an oven) or add to heat in the cabin (I met a guy before that installed them right under the third row seat A/C vents and pointed them right at the amps).

My safe choice among those then would be the DLS. Haven't listened to those specifically but if I had to buy any of those without listening to any of them I'd gamble on DLS.

Did you bring your headphone set up for the installer to listen to so he'd be more familiar with what general sound you want to get out of the car's system?

And as for the amp, one thing you said that I can set twitters on 2x50w or 2x75w and the midwoofers on 2x150 but there is a point that these amplifiers that I mentioned are not 150 except for Gladen XL150c4 which I heard is much weaker than Mosconi Gladen AS 100.4.
Well, with these situation and for doing what you said should I choose an 150 watts rms amp?

I'm not sure why the XL150c4 would be "weaker" than the AS100.4. They're the same brand, so the methodology for getting the power rating should be comparable.

"Should," but of course with some exceptions. Like how Yamaha can rate even a lower tier receiver as "150w x 7" and a higher tier amp as "185w x 7," but the lower tier model has a a fine print that would say something like "measured at 1000hz, 1% THD, one channel loaded," meaning once you actually have it in a 5.1 or 7.1 system with five or seven channels running simultaneously, the actual rms output could be lower, not to mention they tested it at such a high distortion level you're not likely to actually use the amp that loud if you care about the sound. Kind of like how some laptops can claim they have a full power GPU but the mosfets, cooling system, and sometimes even the power brick might not actually be able to sustain the GPU and CPU running loaded at the same time (which is why games that really load both the CPU and GPU like Total War and some FPS games can tend to be much slower on a laptop vs desktop on say FPS games that barely load the CPU or strategy games that mostly only load the CPU).

That said, even Yamaha wouldn't rate the higher tier receiver's amp for lower output than the lower tier amp with the weaker power supply design, and as it is I have no reason to think that Mosconi does something like this. If anything, the higher price for lower output could be due to other factors, like

1. The higher tier amp having only the heatsinks on the chassis, which can be very expensive to make, whereas the lower tier amp has active cooling ie I see fans on one side.

2. Maybe the higher tier amp has lower distortion and noise, so when you're driving speakers the lower tier amp can get louder but has a noticeably thinner sound. It's like how when I brought my NAD 304 to a shop to try it out with their tower speakers, and despite being rated for 35watts x 2ch, it sounded more like real music vs a Yamaha receiver with "175w x 7ch" driving the same 86dB/1watt at 1m tower speakers.

Mosconi website has the datasheet for the AS 100.4 and they state "target power" and "effective power," which can either mean the first is peak power while the lower, effective power is continuous output; or the effective power is the output level where they measured the S/N ratio.

3. Maybe you may have just misinterpreted what the shop said about these amps? Because there is one way where the 100.4 is has more output: when bridged and driving a 2ohm load, where it can produce 480watts. The 160.4 is not rated to even be capable of running stable when bridged into a 2ohm load, and can only be bridged into a 4ohm load, at which point it produces 450watts. This is only relevant for running a subwoofer, and if you're using the 4ch amp to have each channel running one tweeter or one midwoofer (and then have a second amp to run the subwoofer) then that bridged into a 2ohm load rating doesn't really matter.

Always take the manufacturer rating as a maximum RMS or peak output, even from decent manufacturers; from manufacturers like the bootleg "////////ALPINE" amps that were all the rage back in the 2000s as they were rated for "250w x 4ch / 1000w" I wouldn't even assume that is peak burst power.

If you're saying things that seem to make the ratings confusing it might be because the installer you're talking to is spouting some confused stuff that audio people have had since around the 1990s, that being, some amps are claimed to be "underrated" by consumers. This isn't exclusive to car audio people talking about old school Soundstream Class A or hybrid topology Class A (asymmetrical amps where two channels are low power Class A for tweeters, in some cases two more channels could be Class A too but with higher power, but it can have other channels for midwoofers or subwoofers that are Class A/B) amps, even home audio people have claimed my NAD 304 produces more power than the 35w X 2ch rating says.

The reality here isn't that Rockford Fosgate "Batman" and "BBQ Grill" amps are not rated for more power. They just have lower distortion and noise and run with more Class A bias and so can sound better. Note that sheer Class A bias is not always a guarantee that they'd do better if the power is inadequate, for example some old Marantz amps have a switch to go to pure Class A output which makes the midrange sound better but run Metallica on it with anything lower than 90dB/1mW sensitivity and you'll hear the bass drum notes clipping if you have it cranked up. In such cases a very high power Class A/B can sound more dynamic and more like music since the low end wouldn't go "thwack!" on bass drum notes (this is also why those old 5ch and 6ch Soundstreams only have Class A on two channels for the tweeter).

For context, this is the RF amps I'm talking about and when the end caps are installed they look like...
IK2qoOOxdYCU5NBzdTpWETrH_vC2TFrlFz4ehBm3TPmAsmHl8mZm4jxt74VEzH10CKZyTfOSceRb6VATQKPxEaAMBHD8uKyOJL_v2W_v3ZdM4dHxgpNsETjlaj_zgUmR33ATb6xOxmuWjktyIlXb-p_GV1I

...the older Batman logo...
3576518-batman1966logo1280-580x354.jpg

...while the "BBQ Grill" amps had very tall but not very thin heatsink fins that make them look like what you'd use to put diamond char patterns on a piece of shortloin primal.
rockford-fosgate-punch-400x4-4-channel-trans-ana-jpg.227466

So it does not do that with amplifiers DLS CC2 or Rockford P400-4 or Mosconi Gladen AS 100.4?

What exactly do you mean they don't do? Produce 150w per channel? They won't, the manufacturer does not even claim they do.

What I'm saying about putting as much as 150w into the midwoofers is again because of how much higher the sensitivity of the tweeter is and how that will affect not having the crossover attenuating it. Even the plain terminals on the crossover (in case it has any terminals with -XdB on them) attenuate the tweeters' output, the terminals marked with "-XdB" just attenuate them even more.

"But if that's what happens if I run full active, why even run full active?" Again, because proper aiming of the tweeters doesn't solve the problem that you'll hear the driver side tweeter followed by the driver side midwoofer then the passenger side tweeter then the passenger side midwoofer then finally the subwoofer, all out of sync enough to screw up the sound and add sibilance or make the bass soft and loose (even with a good sealed box on the sub) without being obviously out of sync. Having their analogue amplification separate means you can have the DSP splitting up the signal and then apply time delays so everything arrives at your head at the same time as the output from the subwoofer (which is normally way out back). This can remove sibilance and tighten the bass, but again, now you run the risk of having a very high sensitivity (by comparison) tweeter getting the same amount of power as a much lower sensitivity midwoofer.

And about the Subwoofer, let me ask you something.
My car is a Peugeot 206 hatchback.
I don't want very, very strong sub and bass that the bass is very showy and more of a bass music, you know.
I want a high quality, musical bass that responds quickly and exactly in tune with the music an be very accurate
A soft and balanced and decent bass that only compensates for the weakness of the components for not having a bass.
You know, i really don't like the sub to shake the car and its seats at all, I just want the subwoofer to make up for the lack of component bass.
And i need that to be completely high quality and musical and play the bass in sync with the music.
Not powerful bass to impress others... Just a decent and balanced bass for the music.

Choose a decent subwoofer and more importantly make sure the sealed box is properly made, meaning the correct air volume inside the box but accounting for bracing as you need a box just short of too stiff as to rattle for being stiff (as opposed to having the panels wobbling around). Personally, given this means "small air volume," I'd just go with having it fiberglassed into a corner of the trunk instead of a box that can plop around. I don't mean when the back is opened the whole thing is painted fiberglass - I just mean you have it molded to the corner of the trunk to keep it out of the way (unless the width of the trunk to the very back of the car is more important to you, ex certain sports equipment getting loaded that are better off in that section).

That will be an irregular shape though and initially will be a bit too large but the filler can just be additional bracing, then more speaker box filler since it won't have MDF on the rear. Then get it covered in automotive carpet so it blends in the trunk.

Something like these but get a grill to protect the sub. Don't worry about the brand - I had a Kicker grill over my Polk Audio before.
99227d1163558187-custom-fiberglass-sub-box-maxgusscars-093-small-.jpg

13.jpg

Past that, don't forget the amplifier. Just because you're not trying to crack your windshield doesn't mean 100w is enough all the time. You have to take the subwoofer's sensitivity vis a vis the tweeters' and midwoofers' sensitivity into account just like with how I'd much rather put a bit of extra power into the midwoofers. Get a fair bit more power into the midwoofer vs the tweeter and into the subwoofer vs the midwoofer, and you can crank the gain a little bit higher before hitting the amplifier's limit.

Note: this doesn't mean you'll never hit X-Max just because you have a good amp, it just means you can set the gain higher so you can match the more efficient driver/s in the system. This can potentially mean you'll hit X-Max sooner as per unity gain setting (ie the primary volume control on the receiver or DSP, or on the receiver controlling the DSP if you get an ///////ALPINE DSP), but after setting the normal gain on the midwoofer the next step is to match the midwoofer to the tweeter then the sub to to both. Meaning even
IF you can potentially hit X-Max on the bigger drivers sooner, if you've got a good balance in output between all drivers and can get to a point where you can damage your eardrums long before the drivers hit X-Max, then the slightly higher gain isn't really a problem. Again, matching the output on all drivers is the more important bit.

And that I can not get subwoofer for dash in my car.

Well that's really more of whether you bought a car that has it (like Nissans with the Bose systems, or Jaguars with the B&W system) or you're willing to have a shop do that.

If you're not willing to have the dash gutted to mold a fiberglass enclosure in there to house a shallow depth 8in subwoofer and have fewer localization issues, then just do the thing I described above. You just need to be aware of the possibility that even if you have a DSP, the box isn't too large nor a large ported box built around a really good subwoofer, etc, there is no absolute guarantee that you'll get the "high quality" bass you want.

Why? Because out in the back even if you use time alignment all that does is sync all the other tweeters and midwoofers with the subwoofer. However these are all either fully automatic if your DSP has a tuning microphone and automatic tuning, input in distance to each driver then computed by the DSP or microseconds of delay manually input by whoever is doing the tuning - these do not take into account other acoustic issues like how the rear seat and if there are any speaker holes behind the rear passenger headrests etc affect how the bass from the compartment gets to you. Not to mention the tactile aspect of it - if you feel the bass on the back of your seat then psychologically your capability to perceive it coming from the dash where the other instruments is already crippled.

While I will always say have a DSP, it's more like the sense of me saying "at least always have a pistol." The pistol can't guarantee nobody will shoot you first or that you won't get taken out by a sniper, but at least there are other situations where it can be a deterrent. The DSP can't absolutely correct every problem in every car, but you can correct and mitigate at the very least, even if you can't get it to image the bass up front it should at least not sound like a landslide and might sound like it's near the front of the car.

I Can get a subwoofer with box for the trunk or an active model under the seat.

I'd avoid the slim, plastic enclosure underseat subs. The cone surface areas are too small and the amps aren't really all that good, but the worst problem is putting these inside the cabin can actually make localization of the source of the bass worse. Like if you put it under your seat and the tactility of the bass under your buttocks is a sure tip off to your body that the bass is coming from there, so psychologically, it's harder to hear the bass like it's coming from elsewhere. Putting it under the passenger seat won't be a huge improvement in most cabins either.

Not that these can't ever work right, just that each particular car cabin has more variances with other models' than rooms do if you control for room size and whether the speakers can be placed the same distance from the walls you might as well pay for installing it out back and gamble on the DSP being enough to handle the rest.

And the good models that are available for the trunk with box are these:
Image Dynamics ID 8 or 10
Image Dynamics IDQ 8 or 10
Gladen SQX 8 or 10
Rockford Fosgate P300 - Active model - 8 or 10
Rockford P1 and P2 and P3
DLS Nordica 10i
I do not know which one to choose.

I'd get either of the IDs or the DLS. Check where you want it to go in the trunk and see if mounting depth variances might be relevant (ie if the magnet and basket are too large the performance might be better, but they'll require more mounting depth and can stick out more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back