car audio - best bang for the buck?
Jul 27, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
hahahigh said:

I agree. I drive a Lexus IS250, and my father drives a top-of-the-line 4Runner Limited. His stereo is a premium JBL, and I vastly prefer it to my own - much more lively and impactful, even with the slightly louder SUV cabin compartment. My ideal setup would have been the Mark Levinson system option for the Lexus... alas, that was $4,000 more for the entire package.
tongue.gif

$4k? yikes!!!
basshead.gif
im no where near that price range lol
tongue.gif

i think its safe to assume that you can have high SQ in a vehicle though, even with road noise and all the other various distractions.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
fwiw, i'm a big fan of alpine...i've been to the factory & have never been disappointed by them...

I almost went with them when I upgraded my HU recently. However, they like to gouge you into buying an extra external box to do anything (hook up your iPod, HD Radio, Audyssey MultEQ, etc...) It would've cost me a fortune to own an Alpine that does everything my Eclipse does by itself!

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
I almost went with them when I upgraded my HU recently. However, they like to gouge you into buying an extra external box to do anything (hook up your iPod, HD Radio, Audyssey MultEQ, etc...) It would've cost me a fortune to own an Alpine that does everything my Eclipse does by itself!

Alpine is great but you are right about the accessories, not cheap or value based.  Eclipse is fantastic as well and a better value w/ some audiophile features.  A friend has an Eclipse HU w/ balanced 8v preouts.  Great unit.  They have a few surprising bargain speakers as well.  Diamonds in the rough.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #21 of 22
Genesis Audiophile A16's were the reason i got into audio. I paired these with a cheap alpine sub in my old car. I still long for that sound even now! Not cheap though unfortunately. 

To the person who said hifi and car audio don't mix! your a fool! My system was leaps and bounds above anything i have heard from a headphone!

Time to kit out my car audio again! Damnit head-fi you have done it again! my wallet hates you!

Another vote for Infinity and Alpine here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back