Capacitor burn in, how long does it really take?
Apr 4, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #46 of 53
Caps DO burn-in.Discovered this myself without knowing about it.My experience-about 30 hours(polypropylene and electrolytic).Maybe it's something about polarizing the cap plates..don't know

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #47 of 53
Have had power supply electrolytics changed in  my 15 year old Audio Note OTO SE. These are 220uf 450V and there are 4 on the main supply, they have need changing starting in year 7 and about every 1-3 years, none of the new ones have failed by year 15. When they fail the sound gradually goes hard and edgy, usually its really smooth.
After the change the amp sounds just as bad, initialy I thought the fault hadn't been sorted out. I was asked to persevere for 100 hrs. By end day 3 at 72 hrs and no change I'm thinking it can't be the cap that was faulty, carried on somewhere between day 4-6 it all changed (80-100hrs) the sound went beautiful again, smooth as it should be.
I had 3 done by Audio Note, the same story each time, between 80-100 hrs they suddenly sweeten.

I've now changed the replacement Samwha caps and the remaining original to Mundorf 200 twins caps. Superior to both the originals and quite a bit better than the replacemements.
They don't fit on the board physically so you have to build another mini board to sit on top of the original.
They where immediatley impressive, crushing bass power, better background, sweeter. They came good after only 20 hrs or so and continue to improve, now at about 100 hrs.

Strange thing is testing the the old caps they are 200uf v 220uf stated (at +-20%), the ESR is within the normal range, I have to read up more to find out whats happened, but changing them brought me the return to the good sweet sound I have always loved in the is amp.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #48 of 53
Oscon capacitors sound very different when run-in for a day or so. They start off sounding a bit thin or 2d, but open up and sound very different after a good run-in. A couple of times when this happened to me I nearly removed the capacitor because the sound was that bad.
I only noticed a difference when they were used in certain positions in the circuit though...

I know of an eletronics designer who had the same experience as me with "Organic capacitors" but he got slated when he mentioned it on a forum. I felt quite sorry for the guy because he comes across a very honest guy and his honesty caused him some grief.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:
Bump for an important topic that polarizes many.
tongue.gif

Not all of us.
tongue.gif

se

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #53 of 53
my capacity to assure full capacitor burn in is capable depending on resistors resisting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back