Can't hear the difference between FLAC and 256kbs
Jan 31, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #76 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not?
I just make lossless copies of my CD originals so I don't have to worry about damaging the CD. I put those away in a closet in case I need them again.
I find it much easier to find the album and songs I am looking for on the screen as compared to using a CD player. However, YMMV and to each their own.

x2. Even though I don't listen to lossless that much, I still want it on my computer. I've been ripping to lossless for over a year and I'm only a third of the way though my library. I would be doing it faster if I didn't already have lossy versions of the CDs.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #77 of 82
Ai, slow going at least guarantees at least knowing what your ripping. I still prefer my CDs from time to time. Just holding them and looking at them, oh well...

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #79 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also allows me to listen to each rip to make sure there wasn't problems

Just do secure rips, and there won't be any problems.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #80 of 82
There can be if it's a bad pressing. I've had that happen on 3 new CDs. Only 1 was readable though. It didn't pass Accurrip, but it passed secure rip because it was read the same way in each pass.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #81 of 82
I rip my CDs both Apple Lossless and 320kbps VBR AAC. Use the lossless when listening at home, AAC for iPod & iPhone. I can tell a plain difference between the lossless and a standard CBR 192kbps mp3, but I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between the lossless and 320kbps VBR AAC on my current setup (Maverick Audio D1 and HD595). Hard drive space is cheap, so I figure why not do both and be good to go when I have a better setup that can reveal my source?

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #82 of 82
Just to make clear all my discs are ripped lossless as well and stored to HDD at home and with a drive at work. With over 3tb of space I'm not worried about my lossless causing me to run out of space anytime soon. Yes it's probably overkill but I have the resource so I use it.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I know not everyone does. I guess it's based on my level of paranoia combined with the perceived level of my incompetence divided by luck or:

# of copies = P + A
--------------Luck
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back