Cant get mic to work on my AV-710
Jan 6, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 8
I know all other inputs are disabled when using High Sample Rate 2 channel mode, I'm not dumb, and I know how to use the search function. I turned it off and set it to normal 2 channel, and the mic still didn't work. I found a temporary fix using my onboard audio for the mic, and the AV-710 for my speakers. Please please please ask before assuming things, cuz you know what they say about when you assume.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Ehm, sorry but you still don't make a point. Why would you use your mic on your av-710 instead of connecting it to your onboard input. The whole purpose of having the chaintech is using the wolfson dac. The rest of the card is as good as any crap onboard audio. Why do you think it's so cheap.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 8
Because I game mostly, and listen to music ocassionally. It beats onboard sound, and being able to use just the AV-710 for my mic and speakers means I can disable onboard sound and consume less resources. Maybe I didn't wanna shell out $75 for an Audigy 2 ZS. If you have don't have a solution, you don't need to comment at all, thanks.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Switch to regular 2 channel mode and restart Windows. Setting the card to High Samplerate mode screws the inputs for the rest of the session so avoid doing so (also don't play any 96KHz sounds while in regular mode because it screws the inputs too). Also make sure Line-in slider is at maximum and Line-in is selected at record tab in Via Audio control panel.

Note that you cannot hear the mic yourself unless you set "Loop Back Record In to S/PDIF Out" in the Digital Out tab which in turn will let you hear only the mic (-> leave it unchanged (set to PCM only), your friends online can hear your mic in any case). I know it sounds weird to fiddle with Digital Out settings, but this is how things work with this card.

I recommend using the card in regular two channel mode all the times unless you want the hassle of restarting your machine everytime mic needs to be used. Also turn off 96KHz resampling in Foobar2000 (or the audioplayer you use). Depending on tastes the straight untouched 44.1KHz may actually be better than resampling to 96KHz anyway (in Sample Rate tab tick "automatic" to ensure clean playback).

These settings and tabs can be found in 3.10a and 3.10b drivers. Settings are the same for all drivers, but the control panel changes with different versions so you may have to look for them in different places if you use other drivers.

Jan 7, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 8
I am sorry but there is no need to be hostile at all. Do you realise how much fps drop you will experience? Probably 1 or 2. If you are into gaming you should get a ZS. Imo it is worth it. Otherwise I would plug my mic in onboard sound and use the high res mode on the chaintech together with qsound or sensaura enabled for gaming purposes (this is how I do it). I'm a just trying to understand why you believe the chaintech sounds so much better than onboard sound when it isn't even at high res mode.

Jan 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
I'm a just trying to understand why you believe the chaintech sounds so much better than onboard sound when it isn't even at high res mode.

There is absolutely no need for high res mode to use the Wolfson DAC. The point of this card is not the 96KHz resampling, but the DAC itself which works very well with untouched 44.1KHz audio. Nobody seems to know this because every guide posted on here and everywhere else just advices to enable the high res mode without giving a second thought.

This is getting offtopic, but I wonder why nobody ever even considers using the regular 2 channel mode when it offers everything the high res mode does while actually giving the user the choice ie. high res mode forces upsampling, with regular mode it's optional. Also the sought after 88.2KHz playback is possible with the regular 2 channel mode. I posted my instructions in the previous AV-710 guide thread, but got no reply even if I directly addressed some things in the guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back