Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
Here's what I have

WinXP
Winamp 5.05 w/ MAD MP3 plugin & out_asio.dll & kernel streaming
Foobar2000 w/ MAD MP3, foo_asio.dll, and kernel
Chaintech AV710 hi-res 2 channel
Senn HD497

To me Foobar's kernel streaming sounds the best, but I can't get kernel streaming to work on Winamp. Personally I don't like Foobar - WinAmp is just so much better (except no kernel streaming!). Any ideas?

Also I hear ASIO is just as good as Kernel Streaming. Problem is I can't get ASIO to work at all, using DLL or EXE versions on both Foobar and WinAmp.

Basically I want either kernel streaming or ASIO with winamp! I followed the instructions on this site about asio4all, settings, etc.

Thanks,

--Illah

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 6
AFAIK Asio don't work on a AV-710.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 6
kernel streaming in Winamp sucks. There's no real good plugin for it. It won't really let you select the soundcard which is problematic.

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 6
In Stephanovich's review he set it up with ASIO...

Anyway, on two PC's (work and home) I can't get ASIO working w/ the 710. Kernel Streaming sounds nicer than DirectSound, but it's a hassle having to try and eliminate EVERY other sound in the system. There's more than just windows system sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

That and the fact that I don't really like Foobar...

That's the main reason I want ASIO - so I can still use WinAmp! Of all progs released in the past 5 years WinAmp is in my Top 3, easy
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 6
To make winamp 5.0version use asio. First download ASIO4all, install it. Set sound driver 1.43d to high resample rate (hook speakers to rear out). Download in_mpg123.dll for input and out_asio(exe).dll at the japanese site, and add it into winamp plugin folder (make sure that it is for winamp not foobar). Go to asio4all panel, uncheck 4 boxes, pick envy24 at audio device, set buffer size to 1000, ks buffer to 2. In winamp>pref.>output>out_asio(exe).dll>configure, pick device wuschel, uncheck resampling and everything. That was how i got it to work in winamp asio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back