Canon guys!!! Looking for new lense for my Elan 7e SLR
Sep 27, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother with the zoom, you have to hit the $1K+ 24-70 f/2.8L or 24-105 f/4L IS to make a difference.

Get the 50mm f/1.4 USM or the 35mm f/2. You won't find anything optically better under $1000. This will be reflected in the "wow" factor in your photos. The discipline of a fixed-focal lens will also be salutary.

You may need to reconsider what film you are using. When you factor the cost of processing, pro films are not that much more expensive than consumer grades.

Yes! x1000! Force yourself to move around, and look stupid! (I'm good at the latter.)

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 26
Current lenses that i own and ***love***

Let's see...
[size=x-small]Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF[/size]Oy vey! Sharp, fast? Yep.
I LOVE THIS LENS!

1735.jpg

and

[size=x-small]Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
[/size]
Bokeh to die for, fast, sharp.
I LOVE THIS LENS!

70200.jpg

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #18 of 26
I'm going for the 28-105mm then. I went out to take pics of the NYC skyline yesterday and i hate how flimsy the plastic stock lens feel. The damn thing wobbles when i adjust the focus...

Any ideas on transferring the image to my computer? EVery now and then i like to post them up so my friends can see.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going for the 28-105mm then. I went out to take pics of the NYC skyline yesterday and i hate how flimsy the plastic stock lens feel. The damn thing wobbles when i adjust the focus...

Any ideas on transferring the image to my computer? EVery now and then i like to post them up so my friends can see.

Also, the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 is a nice lens for a good price

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is hysterical. Apparently, you should get a few budget crushing Nikon lenses for your Canon film camera and a CF card to boot?
cool.gif

Start from the beginning and read slower
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start from the beginning and read slower
wink.gif

Could not agree more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: I'm also looking for a way to transfer the photos onto my computer. My flatbed scanner *(3 in 1 HP cheapo printer) doesnt do a very good job and you can clearly see the scan lines. What alternatives are there? (please don't mention DSLRs)

I have a HP 3 in 1, too. Have you tried increasing the scan resolution? It's not going to give you great results even with increased res., but it may help. Sorry if that is stating the obvious.

Other than that you'd have to spend for a dedicated negative scanner or better flat bed.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wrong thread

wink.gif

----------

Here is another very interesting option:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=383588

Cameta Camera thru amazon has a constant f2.8 Sigma 24-60mm zoom for 199.99. I know nothing about this lens, but many say it's very sharp.

Here's the amazon link (look to the right in the column to see it offered by Cameta Camera):
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-60mm-...8495905&sr=8-1

Cameta Camera sells on Ebay, too. They are reputable. Here is the same lens up for bid:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Cameta...0canonQQsofpZ0

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could not agree more.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a HP 3 in 1, too. Have you tried increasing the scan resolution? It's not going to give you great results even with increased res., but it may help. Sorry if that is stating the obvious.

Other than that you'd have to spend for a dedicated negative scanner or better flat bed.

Yup. There's probably something wrong with my scanner. It used to scan fine when i bought it a few years ago. Now it produces large amount of scan lines which are quite visible even with photoshop.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #26 of 26
The 28-105 3.5-4.5 is definitely a good option.
Make absolutely SURE you get f3.5-4.5, though. The 4.5-5.6, in the same range, is essentially best buds with your 28-90 in paperweight category.

If you're willing to extend your budget just a little bit farther, though, you can probably pick up a very nice 24-70 (which is the upgrade of the 24-60) talked about above. They can go for about $275 used on eBay, because third-party lenses don't get found by searches as easily, but they're often amazing values.

As a third option It might be better to put your lens budget, scanner budget together and get a cheap Canon DSLR, which would solve your Computer imaging problem and also gift you with a semi-decent kit lens... Rebel XTs are something like $500 in the U.S, I think, so who knows what you could find a used one or an original Digital rebel for. The 18-55 mm kit lens that comes with it is flimsy plastic like you hate, but stopping it down actually makes it much sharper than you could get with the earlier EOS lenses. As a bonus, that crappy 28-90 extends to 135mm by the sensor crop multiplier, so now you have some extra reach, a second lens, and access to the wonderful world of digital. Plus you can start saving money on film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back