Can you hear a difference between MP3 and lossless?
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I download a lot of flac now a days, but I also have most of my library in V0 and 320, because V0 is apparently just how many kbps a song "needs" (I have no idea how it judges to change the kbps per song). 

I think there might be a subtle difference when listening to lossless with high end headphones, a bit more clear and crisp. I really have no idea whether or not that's the placebo effect though, because I know the placebo effect is real and I know I've sampled songs back to back in various bit rates in a blind test and I found I couldn't tell a difference until I got down to 128kbps (which sounds subtly grainier, noticably). Otherwise I'm not sure if it's noticeable, even between something like V0 and 320kbps. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 4
I tried myself quite a few abx tests and 99.99% of the time I didnt't pass 320/V0 (or other high bit rate lossy formats) vs. lossless. I went through like the half of my music library and the best I could do is tell 192cbr mp3 apart from lossless. However this was not always the case, a lot of time even 192kbit/sec mp3 was enough to me. I pretty much always passed 128kbit mp3 vs lossless though.

As a side note, after I did a bit of research I found out that there are a couple of known hard to encode "mp3 killer" samples. When I listened to those samples, the differences were clearly audible when using mp3 encoding, however using better codecs like vorbis or aac yielded noticeably better results.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Very good one indeed. I myself have tried differentiating between 320 kbps LAME mp3s and FLAC on numerous occasions to no avail, basically. Either the music that I generally listen to isn't that sensitive to tiny losses in the stream, or I just can't hear them, really.

I do think that's basically the norm for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back