can you charge NH battery in a Ni_Cad charger?
Aug 16, 2001 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all;
I have a Sony charger (BC-7DC) to charge the NC-6WM gum pack battery. Can I charge the equivalent NH battery in this charger, or does this battery require a special charger?

Found some NH at a good price, but had hoped not to buy another charger.

thanks everyone!

Matthew

Aug 16, 2001 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 4
I tried charging some NiHM's with a NiCD charger. they didn't seem to get fully charged or something, they lasted a lot shorter.

Aug 20, 2001 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Generally you can, but usually it's not optimal - and sometimes it's even dangerous. As mariowar already mentioned, many chargers use an internal timer. Better models use a chip that controls voltage and current over time (and maybe even compares this to a stored curve) - loading will be stopped, when delta-I or delta-V are small enough, then. So if the charger only has the minimum-deltas or the curve for NiCad stored, you won't get optimal results with NiMH. In adddition, if the internal resistance of the NiMH cell is considerably lower than that of the original NiCad cell, you could destroy the charger because of too much current, if it's a bad design. Or the NiMH cell could get very hot and might explode, if there's no appropriate current limiter. So I'd recommend to check the temperature at least, if you try that.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back